Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Utter Scrap Annihilation

Scraps multiply in the night, right? You'll never get rid of them, right? I'm actually starting to think I may RUN OUT of them!!!

My scrap busting projects are going so well, I have actually emptied entire drawers of scrap strips. I store my scrap user system in kitchen base cabinet pot drawers, so not small drawers, big ones! I've emptied one drawer completely, and one is mostly empty. It is blowing my mind how much fabric I've gone through. 


These are the blocks I've been working on this week. I need to make another stack of the warm color blocks at the top of the photo. After the second warm stack of blocks, I just need to make one more stack of gray blocks, and I'll have all the blocks for the Christmas quillows finished. These blocks are all made with 1.5" cut strips (1" finished). I'm trying for a good variety, so even if I have a WOF strip, I'm cutting it in half and matching each half to a different fabric. 

When I was making blocks with 2" cut strips, I didn't mind sewing the whole block before pressing, but with the skinnier strips, I find it easier to sew the strips into pairs, press the pair then sub-cut before I sew three pairs together for a block. Since I'm using up scrap strips, they aren't all the same length, and I don't always have the right amount to evenly sub-cut into 6.5" sections. Anything less than 6.5" long I've been cutting into 1.5" sections, and I've been using those to make four patches. 


These are the cool colored (plus pink) four patches I ended up with, and I sewed a small pile of warm colored four patches today, but haven't gotten them pressed yet. I'm thinking I could bust my small stash of 1.5" squares to make even more four patches, and maybe eventually I'll have enough to make a decent sized quilt using all the four patches. I'm thinking alternating white squares but I haven't decided if I want to straight set or do something on point. If I can add enough other four patches, I can ignore the color pattern of this batch and just use all of them in the same quilt. Some of the four patches have only two fabrics, others have four different fabrics. This is the end of the road for these scraps, and I'm just using what I can, however I can. 

I just dug out a bunch more warm colored strips because I greatly underestimated how many I would need. I started sewing them, but it's pretty late and I am getting too tired and sore to sew anymore. This was DH's first day back to work in two weeks, and I really sewed too long today. I do sew when he's home, but I also take a lot of breaks. 

My goal was to get all the quillow blocks finished by Friday evening, and I don't think I will make it. At this point if I just get all the warm colored blocks finished by then I'll be satisfied. 

I just remembered I completely forgot to make granola today for DH to have for breakfast, so I better get that started so it's done before I go to bed! Oops!




No comments: