Thursday, February 27, 2020

First TWO Finishes of 2020

While I was waiting for the gingham binding to arrive, I sewed the binding on a UFO I finished quilting a couple weeks ago, before the longarm disaster.



It's nice to have a UFO finish be my first of the year. 

My binding arrived, and I'm so glad I held out for pink gingham.


Since it's hard to see in this photo, here are a couple close-ups of the binding.




It looks good with the front and the minky backing. I'm really happy with how this quilt came out.

Sewing has been pretty sporadic lately, there's a lot going on in my life right now. Still, I'm surprised at how short sewing sessions add up. I've made 80 scrap blocks in the last week, sewing in just short spurts here and there. Most of the blocks are the yellow and orange concentric squares I've already shown. Some blocks are kind of blah, but every once in a while one comes out really cute like this one...


When I make scrap quilts I don't fussy cut anything, it just comes out however it comes out. The hula cow is fairly centered in that middle, and it's just so cute. I bought a fat quarter of that fabric in Kona, Hawaii, when DH and I went there for our 25th wedding anniversary almost 11 years ago. That's one of the few bits left from that fat quarter.  The other blocks I've been working on are some really scrappy black/neutral log cabin blocks.


Most of these fabrics are novelty prints, so it's pretty busy, but after putting few blocks up on the design wall, I think it will work in the end. If scrap quilts stress you out, maybe it's because you are looking at one block at a time. Sometimes you need to look at the big picture to see if you can pull it off. 

It's funny, I've been helping several people house hunt lately. I've looked at hundreds of houses online in the last few months. DH and I had debated moving to northern AZ this year, decided against it, and decided we'd likely stay here in this house until DH retires. Well...while looking at a new housing development floor plan selection to help someone else, I found my dream floor plan. I liked it so well, DH and I went to a different development where they had that floor plan as a model home. I am absolutely enamored with that house, and it's in our price range! It so early in the housing development location we want, they aren't even selling lots for it yet, but we signed up for the interest list and are seriously considering buying. It has almost everything we like about our current house, and two things this house doesn't have, but we really want. This house is a tri-level, and the new house is single story. This house has no garage, and we've checked city codes and we can't build one. The new house has a two car garage, so plenty of space for DH's motorcycles and scooters.

We had planned to wait until DH retires to move, but now, when faced with my dream house in my price range, I just can't find a decent reason to not move, besides the fact moving is a lot of work. When we had looked at houses for us before, having adequate quilting space was a big issue. I really had never found anything that shouted at me that this would be perfect until we saw this floor plan. Not only would I have a great quilting space, if I should ever decide to buy one, I would have space for a longarm on a frame... We'll see what happens, but we are seriously considering it. 

More news on the house-hunting front, we found a place for my sister this week too, she'll be moving nearby, which I'm really happy about. The new house we are considering is even closer to her new place than our current house is, and it's not far from here either. The new location would be closer to my MIL too. When we bought this house 17 years ago, we never planned on retiring here. This other house, I could see living the rest of my life in. Staying put is easier, but is it better??? Hmmm....lots to think about.



No comments: