Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Not Much

I don't feel like I've gotten much done in the last week. I did make some burp rags for the new grandbaby.


I haven't washed them yet, so they don't have nice frayed edges yet, but they are sitting on my washer and dryer, so I got them that far. I found out the parents were hoping for a couple more swaddling blankets, so I chose fabrics for those, but haven't gotten any further with that. The baby is coming in about two weeks, so I really should get going on that!

I have sewn more scrap blocks, I've got about 130 yellow/orange concentric square blocks. 120 blocks would make a nice twin sized quilt. We'll see how many blocks I have in the end before I decide what to do with them. 

I've got 50 of the black/white log cabin blocks now. I was just working on one log cabin block while working on one orange/yellow block. Each block has the same number of pieces, so I'd finish two blocks at once. I decided I had too many sizes of pieces hanging around, so instead I am working on one orange/yellow block, while adding the next log on to the black/white log cabin blocks. I'm now only keeping one size of log cabin block on my table. I've already sewn all of the first logs to the center square, and now I'm sewing log #2 on as leaders/enders. My pile of log cabin blocks will be stagnant for a bit, but I'll finish all the rest pretty quickly once I'm sewing on the last log as leaders/enders. How many will I have in the end? If I had counted the center squares I'd know the answer to that, but as my method with most scrap quilts, I don't count much, I just sew up what I've got and count at the end. The red center squares were just all of a piece of red I had in stash. I didn't even measure the red before I cut it. I might plan out a wedding quilt to the last bit of fabric to make sure I have enough of everything, but scrap quilts I just usually completely wing it. Sometimes it's quite freeing to just improvise everything on a quilt, I do that with all my bonus HST's from other projects too. Oftentimes my improvised quilts are my favorites. 

I've been watching YouTube videos of quilt studio tours. Those are really interesting. My studio is pretty organized, but if we buy the house we are thinking about, I'll have a completely new space to figure out. I don't know about you, but I always feel like my studio is a work in progress. My over 1 yard pieces of fabric is exactly how I want it stored, my scrap user system is organized, and although my fat quarter-1 yard pieces are organized, I don't like how they are stored. Eventually I want to get rid of all the plastic drawers I have fabric in, as well as any totes I have fabric in. The few totes I have are not quilting cotton, and I've whittled those down to what I actually have plans to use. I do have a couple totes of fabric from men's shirts which I will use for quilting. This year is much busier with family stuff than I anticipated, so sewing and quilting is taking a backseat to family, which is always how I would prioritize it. I may love quilting, but family comes first! At least I'm finding short spurts of time to sew, it helps me stay sane when things are crazy. 

1 comment:

Elle said...

My over 1 yard pieces of fabric is exactly how I want it stored, my scrap user system is organized,

Would you kindly post photos of these so we can see what you love?