Thursday, December 1, 2022

Mystery Quilt Beginnings

 I have two mystery quilts that aren't fully assembled yet, which of course didn't stop me from starting another one. Last year's Bonnie Hunter mystery I changed up quite a bit, and I'm making one quilt into two. One of those is almost a top, one of them I still need to make alternate blocks for. 

The Ruby Jubilee Mystery from Quiltmaker magazine I have yet to assemble, though I do have all the parts finished. I think I'm going to change it up a bit too, and I've been too busy to plan that out. 

UFO's don't stress me out enough to stop me from starting something new, so here I go on the Chilhowie Mystery.


I finished Clue 1, and since I'm not going scrappy You get the idea from just a couple of each unit. On this step at least, I'm happy I swapped the purple and orange placements. When you switch up the colors, you never know how you did until the end. I know Bonnie often lures us in on easy step 1's, and I've done enough of her mysteries to know it won't stay this easy. I did find it intriguing that the amount of one of the units she had us make is a prime number....Makes it more mysterious I guess. 

Besides working on clue one which didn't take very long, I made the "last" of the pajama pants. I put last in quotes, because now that I see them done, I think I should have made one persons a different size, so I might be making another pair just in case the ones I made don't fit. I started one of the nightgowns I need to make, it's about half done. 

I've also been working on a couple quilts I want to get done in December. Two are memory quilts, and I thought I was so smart and had it figured out how I was going to make it, until I actually went through the clothes again, and realized my perfect plan wasn't so perfect after all. Now I'm back to square one on those. I think I'm just going to cut apart the clothes and start prepping them with French Fuse, then I'll see what options I actually have. 

The other quilt I want to finish in time for Christmas is coming along nicely. I need to get the border cut soon, because it will be a pieced one, and the blocks are finishing up quickly. 

This weekend I'll have a couple of grandkids and a granddog, so it will be a no sewing zone for a couple days. If I manage any time at all in the studio, I'll try cutting the second clue of Chilhowie once it's out. 


When I came upstairs from sewing one day this week, I saw a coyote napping in my neighbor's driveway. He's a really healthy looking one, and from the reduced number of rabbits in the neighborhood, I have an idea how he got that way 😉 I went outside to take the photo, and he was completely unconcerned about me being out there. 

No comments: