Thursday, March 21, 2024

Do Partial Seams Scare You?

 My first quilts with partial seams were not long after I started quilting. I think I hadn't been quilting long enough to know they intimidate people. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things in quilting that intimidate me, I've done Y seams, but if there's a way to make a block without Y seams I'm going do that. I haven't done much with curved seams, I've never done mitered borders. I've done paper piecing and although it doesn't scare me, I don't prefer it. 

I watch a lot of quilting YouTube videos, and I really enjoy Conquering Mount Scrapmore with Brenda. I watched a recent video about partial seams. That video got me to thinking, one, I may have to make a quilt with the block she demonstrates, and two, I had a project already cut out that uses partial seams and maybe I should get it out and start sewing it up. 

The project I had cut out has two partial seams per block, but aside from that it's a good leader/ender project. I've been working on assembling quilt tops all week, and I needed something more interesting to work on. 


Here's my first block finished, and I really like it! Everything I've been working on is either a deadline quilt or a scrappy quilt. This project is something I cut from fat quarters that I curated. A few of them came in small fat quarter bundles, but I mixed two bundles together with stash fabrics to round it out. 


For anyone wondering, the pattern is in this book and is called Caught in the Middle. I have one of the hashtag quilts from the cover cut out as well, but I resized the blocks to use up some scraps I had. There are several patterns in this book I plan on using. 

Assembling quilt tops- I already mentioned that's been my main thing this last week. The largest quilt I've been working on is a twin, everything else is a throw, I have five quilt tops together that aren't getting borders. One is an on point setting with oversized setting triangles, and it needs to be trimmed. I debated putting a border on that one, but I find myself using borders less and less, so I'm going to skip it. I did assemble two other quilt centers that do need borders. All seven of those I just mentioned need to be pressed. We were dog sitting for several days, and that dog sheds like crazy, so I didn't want to press quilt tops with so much fur around. Yesterday was big vacuuming day, so now I can get caught up on the pressing, which will allow me to get those borders sewn on the quilts getting them. I often just finger press a block as I go along, then press when the block is complete, but I'd never add borders to a quilt without pressing the quilt center well first. 

Good quilt progress this week, but a stressful week overall. We're getting estimates for some house repairs, and the first one came in 50% higher than the figures I found when researching that repair. We are getting more estimates on that. I had a package with $100 worth of quilting supplies say it was delivered, but it wasn't delivered here. We have a video doorbell, so I would have seen a delivery. Not a porch pirate situation, but a delivery to the wrong house. Our neighbors are usually good about bringing over a mistaken delivery, so I'm researching my options. It's not the sewing companies fault, it's all on the post office. I'm still hoping the package shows up. 

Next weekend DS the Elder and family come for an Easter visit. I only have a couple things I really want done before they come. I need to get the binding sewn on his son's quilt so I can send it home with them and not have to mail it. I'd also like to finish Mr. T's quilt top (just needs borders) and get it basted before their visit. Mr. T is local, but his is the next deadline quilt I need done, so getting it basted before having out of town company will give me a great starting place once the company leaves. Other than those couple things I'll just be working on random projects until my company arrives on the 30th. 


No comments: