Thursday, March 4, 2021

An Hour Per Day

 I've got quilts that need to be finished, so I'm back to FMQ one hour per day.  I did get both I Spy quilts basted last weekend, and since I'm just meandering on them, I can quilt a twin sized quilt in about four hours. I'll finish quilting the first one tomorrow, and I should get the other one done next week. I will likely wait to bind them until they are both quilted, since they are both getting the same binding. 

I have three wedding quilts to make this year, and one of them I've really been stuck on. The other two I have everything decided for. The more I debated on what to do about the third one, the more stuck I got. That is, I was stuck, until I realized I already had a quilt top finished that met most of the criteria I had for the quilt. It was the right size, and mostly the right colors. Rather than start a new quilt, when I've been so undecided on it, I'm opting to just use the quilt top I have ready to go. It's a fairly large throw sized quilt, but short of twin sized. I decided to order some extra wide minky for the backing, which I think makes for a pretty luxurious backing for a throw. FMQ with a minky backing is hard on my arm, minky causes so much drag, that I only do it for wedding throws, or an occasional throw for a very special person. I would never use minky for a bed quilt. I don't see any reason to use minky to back a baby quilt either, since most babies never have a blanket in their crib anymore, and baby quilts are mostly used for tummy time now. 

With the two I Spy quilts I need to finish ready to quilt, but me having to limit FMQ time to an hour per day, and my next deadline quilt being that wedding quilt I'm now using a completed top for, I felt like I had a bit of extra time to just work on whatever I wanted. After I take a big break after my FMQ time, I do go back to sewing a bit, I'm mostly just sewing up bits and parts that have been hanging around. 


I finished with these blocks, and instead of putting the Flying Geese quilt up on the design wall, I put this one up. I've got borders chosen, but not cut yet. Once I get this quilt center sewn up, I'll work on cutting the borders. 

I've still got leftover quillow bits. I made some of these blocks.



I've got some made in greens and neutrals as well, but I haven't pressed those yet. These 36 patches finish at 6". I haven't decided what to do with them yet. They might end up being the centers of 8 pointed stars, or maybe I'll just border each center with a contrasting fabric. I haven't decided yet. 

Some of the quillow leftovers I had cut into small rail blocks, and today I made my first block with those.


I don't have enough units made for very many of these, so they may end up being a long term thing. Who knows, if I decide not to make more of them, I'll eventually just use them in a quilt backing. 

Last weekend I got all the little Dresden wedges turned, but I still haven't pressed them yet. That will be this weekends project. 


I've got a bunch of them, so it will take a while to press them all. 

In my effort to empty some bins in the sewing room, I came across some cut units that I never sewed up at all. I've got some triangle in a square units, and some QST's pieces in a couple different sizes that I never did anything with. I think I'll be pulling those pieces out soon and sewing up the units. Once I have the units sewn, I can see if I can come up with some ways to use them. Some of these pieces I don't even know where they came from. Did I just cut too many for certain project and didn't use them right away? Did I just cut up some scraps when I was cutting out another quilt and had my die cutter out? I don't remember, and it doesn't really matter. Playing with random units can be a lot of fun, and if I don't like whatever I come up with, I don't have to make a quilt from them, I can always use them in a quilt backing. 

I went shopping with my sister this week, and I came across something at Hobby Lobby I couldn't resist. 


I'm going to hang this in my sewing room. Hobby Lobby had a bunch of really cute sewing decor on sale for 50% off, but this was the only one that I couldn't resist. I get really grumpy if I can't sew for several days, so sewing really does help me cope with other stuff that goes on. I don't buy a lot of home decor, but I've been trying to pretty up my sewing room a bit, because I spend so much time in there. 








No comments: