Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Meeting Deadlines

 Goodness knows I've missed plenty of deadlines over the past couple chaotic years, but here are a couple things I (mostly) got done on time. I say mostly, because technically, both their birthdays have passed. Since I never planned on mailing these, and I did finish it before we take our trip to see them, I'll count that as a deadline met. 


Mr. X's I Spy quilt finally got it's binding on. It's washed and ready to go on his bed, if he has a twin sized bed yet, I'm not sure he does. DS the Younger has orders to move this summer, further away :-(  so they may be waiting until after the move to get him a larger bed. 

For his little sister, we've got the doll cradle my grandfather made me all spruced up for a new owner. DH sanded it down and gave it a new coat of paint. I made all new linens for it, and of course, got a new baby doll for it.




The doll quilt is a little big for the cradle, but I wanted it large enough for Miss X to be able to wrap her baby in it if she wanted to. I used the same fabric for the quilt backing as I did for the mattress and pillow. I only had a remnant of that fabric, so the bits remaining will go straight into the scrap user system, there's less than a fat quarter left, and nothing WOF.

I got a couple birthday pics of the granddaughter this is going to. She is such a cutie!





Now that those are done it's on to the next things. I hope to get one of the wedding quilts I need this year cut out this week, and I have a couple non-deadline projects I'd like to make some headway on. I had hoped to start quilting the other I Spy quilt, but I don't have enough of the thread I wanted to use to quilt it. I ordered another cone of it, and I'll start quilting it when that arrives. The other I Spy quilt is my next deadline, for a May birthday. 

I may be making another doll cradle set for a different May birthday. I had asked DD#1 if she was interested in the doll cradle when my oldest granddaughter was done with it. DD#1 has two daughters, so I thought she might want it. At the time she said no, so the decision was made for it to go to Miss X. 

Well, now DD#1's youngest daughter is all about her baby doll.



We've got that figured out though. Now that DH is woodworking, he's going to make a doll cradle for this one, and we'll start that whole "this is the cradle my grandfather made me" over again. When you've got four granddaughters, and only one doll cradle, it's amazing that it worked out as well as it did. The age difference between the oldest and youngest granddaughter worked out so my grandfather's cradle went to both of them. DD #1's oldest daughter was never into baby dolls, and DH will make a cradle for this one. My three girls just shared the doll cradle when they were little since they were all together. 

I've been doing a bit of Easter prep as well. Last year the family Easter was cancelled due to Covid, but I'm hopeful we can work out an outdoor family brunch this year. We managed Thanksgiving in a Covid safe manner, and I think we can do the same for Easter. I'm glad Easter isn't any later than it is, or it might have been too hot, but I think we'll be able to make it work with some pop up canopies for shade. The eggs are stuffed for the egg hunt, so I'm routing for it to work out!




No comments: