Friday, March 25, 2022

A Colorful Week

I finished the blocks for the quilt that's for my bed, but with no access to my design wall they'll stay blocks for a bit. 

I'm working my way through some stuff that was hanging around my sewing room.


 The blocks on the left are leftover pieces from the RT Mystery Quilt. I'm doing a different border than Bonnie used, so I'm using the border units in these spinning blocks.  The blocks on the right are all made from Bonus HST's from another quilt I recently finished the blocks for. I have ideas on how to set both of those, but it's not happening right now. 


I've been wanting to tackle my quilt kits, and here's a start on that. I loved this colorful collection of fabrics, and back when Craftsy sold quilting supplies I bought the quilt kit to make Flock Together. The fabrics are the Looking Glass collection by Boundless. I had purchased the queen sized quilt kit, but bought an extra fat quarter bundle so I could make a king. Sometime last month I dug out the kit and got to cutting. I changed the size of the blocks so I could make better use of the fabric, knowing that I could get an extra quilt or two from the fabrics if I was careful. 

I've got all of the big and medium HST blocks done, and I should be able to finish the small HST blocks today. If I can't get it done today, definitely tomorrow. Not too shabby, getting all the blocks done for two king sized quilts in two weeks! 

Since I was so judicious on fabric utilization, I'm going to end up with two throw sized quilts from these fabrics, as well as the original planned king. 


The extra small triangles I added some solid white to, and I've just started making blocks with those. I had enough of that white to make 20 blocks, but so far I've only finished the four shown above. I'll still have more small triangles, but not as many as I'm using in this quilt. Maybe I'll opt for a colorful table runner or something with the last of the small triangles, OR I may just cut up some more colorful fat quarters from other lines and make another larger quilt. 

I've got ideas for the extra medium triangles, but I haven't started working with those. I don't have any extra large triangles, I purposely cut the correct amount of those because they used so much fabric. It's kind of funny that I feel the need to use every bit of fabric that I can when I have such a huge stash, but it is the way I'm wired. 

This was my colorful week, getting to play with all those bright colors from the Looking Glass collection after only working with greens and white last week. Next week I'm leaving color behind, and I'll be tackling a quilt kit that is multiple shades of grey. 

I feel really good about finally tackling some of my quilt kits. It's been on my to do list for the past couple years, but this is the first year I've really set aside the time to work on getting some quilt kits out and worked on. I know I can't possibly finish all the quilt kits I have in one year, but I've been very good about not buying any more, so any time I can get one out of the bin and worked on, it's giving me space in my fabric room. I'm downsizing the REALLY SLOW way! I have a set of shelves in the fabric room I eventually want to pass on, but to do that, I need to get what's on the shelves moved elsewhere or used. It's likely a multi year goal, but that's ok. It's all stuff I still really want to sew up myself, so it's not a problem if it takes a while. It's still good to see progress. 


No comments: