Friday, March 4, 2022

Deadlines and Weather

I admit it, I can be a procrastinator, or just an avoider when it comes to deadlines. The thing is, I'm actually pretty good about getting stuff done on time, I just may get seven other things done first in an effort to avoid a deadline project, or wait until the last minute.


I got the deadline quilt top done, and I pieced the backing, and I got it basted, and I'm already half done quilting it! All of that done this week! 


Here it is laid out for basting if you didn't like the other pic. 

Attic Windows quilts are funny, in that they never look 3D to me until you add the sashing. I've seen some without sashing and to me they look flat. Add sashing and it's like magic!

Although most of my sewing this week has indeed been on the deadline quilt, I have gotten a couple quilts laid out on the design wall so they are ready to assemble. 



I found a bunch of green/neutral QST's in a bin. The units are just 3" so this won't be a huge quilt, but it will be a decent sized lap quilt. I used squares from men's shirts for the alternate squares. I think I'll add one border, I have some green plaid I think will look good with this. 



I also had some rail blocks that I never made anything from. I made a quillow from the white background blocks, but I never did anything with the creams. I had enough blocks to make a quilt a bit bigger than I normally make quillows, so I'm not thinking this will be a quillow, just a throw sized neutral quilt. 

I still have several quilts worth of blocks that aren't out of their bins yet. I'm kind of funny in that I don't like assembling quilts when it's summer, so I'm trying to assemble as many as I can before summer hits. There's too much ironing when assembling a quilt, and I don't like all that quilt in my lap while I assemble if it's hot. I am better about keeping the quilt off of me when I am FMQ, so I don't mind FMQ during the summer. Ironing is a big consideration, when it's 110 degrees outside you don't want to heat up the house any more than necessary. I don't use the oven much in summer either. 

I actually prefer basting in summer, because then there's no quilt on me at all, and it's a good time to get a boring chore done without heating me or the house! 

Anything that require a lot of ironing is best done in winter. I keep our house pretty cool in winter, so ironing just helps warm me up! 

For those of you that are start to finish quilters, you probably never take the weather into consideration, but for anyone like me, who has a ton of UFO's, do you take weather into consideration? Am I really odd in this? If I have a deadline, I work on whatever I need to, but if I don't, I always take the weather into consideration when deciding on which UFO's to work on. Maybe if our climate wasn't so extreme I wouldn't think about it. Our summers are very long and very hot, and air conditioning is expensive! I don't do well with the heat, so heating up an already toasty house with an iron is not my idea of a good time. Ironing when the house is uncomfortably cool in winter? Absolutely! I can usually even take off my cardigan for a bit while ironing in winter. 




No comments: