Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Scrap Vomit #1, Though It Should Be #2

 Here's the quilt top I finished this week.


The original pattern was called Scrap Vomit, and it used to be a free online pattern, but the site it was on is no longer valid, so I can't link to directions. The pattern called for those bullseye type blocks to alternate with the neutral blocks. I was originally going to make one big quilt, but decided to make two throws instead, they will both be the same size. The thing is, I only had enough squares of the bullseye colors I'm using to make 29 bullseye blocks. I'll do the next one the way the pattern said, alternating the blocks, but for this one I opted to just use all neutral blocks on the sides, so I could make the number of blocks I could make work for two throw sized quilts. This quilt top used 1,715 squares, which brings my total 2" squares sewn into quilt tops up to 5,251 in March. I'm currently working on the blocks for the other Scrap Vomit quilt, as well as working on blocks for other quilts using 2" squares.


The pile on the left has over 1,000 squares in it, sewn into nine patches, the pile on the right has 1,200 squares sewn into both four patches and 16 patches. I'm done the orange/yellow units now, and I cut the background fabric for that quilt today. I'm not done making the nine patches on the left. You might notice a few four patches between those two stacks, and that's for yet another quilt. I also have a big stack of 16 patches I sewed up this month that isn't in this pic. I don't plan on using them in a quilt just yet, so they are just in a container waiting. 

I would probably feel a sense of accomplishment if I didn't have so many 2" squares still left. Even though it will be April, next week I'm still planning to work with 2" squares, and I might even use them the week after, but after that I'm going to need a break. The good thing about drowning in squares is they make great leader/ender projects, so I can just keep busting them the slow and steady way after this. 

Tomorrow is our anniversary, and DH surprised me by asking for the day off of work. No sewing for me tomorrow, I've got some celebrating to do! Thirty-nine years has sure gone by quickly! 

1 comment:

GrrannyH said...

pattern available: http://www.free-tutorial.net/2022/02/technicolour-yawn-aka-scrap-vomit-quilt.html