Thursday, March 9, 2023

So What Exactly is a Buckeye Beauty Block?

 I'm working on busting my 3.5" wide scraps at the same time I bust 2" squares because they play so nicely together. I figured one way to do that was to make a Buckeye Beauty quilt. I've made a Buckeye Beauty quilt before but I did a google image search to refresh my memory. Well, from what I can see, the only consistent ingredients are two four patches with two HST's.


Some patterns call for blocks to be assembled like this.


Others call for this


And others like this. All of those also had versions where the four patches were turned and the light squares chained instead of the darks. Two simple units and so many options. 

The last Buckeye Beauty quilt I made I used option 3. This time I'm using option two. I've seen that block called Jewel Box too. It cracks me up how many times you'll see the same quilt block called by several different names, and also the name applied to different blocks. It's definitely a sign that quilting was spread by word of mouth and it was regional so different areas called things by different names. If you were a pioneer woman, and you knew the Buckeye Beauty block had two HST's and two four patches, but you had never seen one, which one do you think you'd have come up with?

For this quilt all my HST's are scrappy greens with that tan background, and the four patches are the background with autumn inspired colored squares. I've got all the sub-units done, and now I'm assembling blocks. 


I've got all thirty 64 patches done now. I was originally thinking red sashing, but when I put some of the blocks on red I didn't like it. I have a blue that looked better, so I'll use it instead. I'm using just one fabric as sashing, cornerstones and borders. 

I'll be working on finishing up these two quilt tops, and when I need leader/enders, I'm making scrappy 16 patches out of the autumn colored squares I had left. Once I get 45 of those made, I can work on assembling another quilt top, because I already have the alternate blocks for it made. I'd like to get those 3 quilt tops together before I get into another project. 

One thing I can say about sewing up so many small squares, I've gone through a LOT of thread! I'm working on partial spools first, and I've already emptied three that were at least 1/3 full when I started. 

1 comment:

Elle said...

Yea for using it up! The squares, the strips and the threads!!!!