Tuesday, October 11, 2011

More Advice from a Teabag


I never knew it was so hard to get a decent photo of something so small! At any rate, if you can't read the teabag tag, it says

"When God made time, He made enough of it." ~Celtic Saying


If I had a dollar for every time I said I didn't have enough time, I would be a wealthy woman. I have learned that a lot can be accomplished in 15-30 minutes per day every day, but no matter how I try, six hours of work cannot be done in an hour.

Life has been changing so fast in the last couple of years, I can barely keep up. The number of people living in our house is constantly changing, the things that take up my time are changing, and I am constantly having to adjust my thinking. Another quote I like is this one-

"The only thing constant in life is change."
~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

I don't completely agree with that quote, I believe God is a constant as well, but it is true that things on this earth are constantly changing.

In my quest to adjust, I am making myself smaller goals in sewing, changing what time of day I sew (after the twins go to bed works better), meal planning a bit more, and making myself take time to just chill out, watch a movie with the kids or something.

Now that my new sewing room is pretty much functional, I have actually gotten a couple of things FINISHED! I finished making the twins bibs yesterday, and today I made a small drawstring bag for Mr. Z to put his toy animals into. Last night I spent about two hours finishing up the bibs, and today I made the little bag in about 20 minutes, which was the only time I had to sew today. I had gotten used to sewing the whole day away, and facts are that I just don't have many days where that is likely anymore. I'm sure someday that will change yet again, but for now, this is the way things are.

Now that I am changing my thinking to my current circumstances, and I am adjusting to the new sewing room, I have some new problems to tackle. Last night while working on the bibs, I realized the lighting for my Bernina in the new sewing room is not adequate. I have a desktop Ott Lite, but no matter where I positioned it, it wasn't quite doing the job. I thought about getting one of Bendy Bright Lights that stick to the sewing machine, I've never had one, but I've heard good things about them. I can't afford to hire an electrician to put in recessed lighting above the sewing cabinet, but DH could use a swag kit and hang a light above the sewing cabinet. Maybe I will show DH the problem and see what he thinks.

I think the lighting for the Juki is OK, but I haven't tried quilting on it yet. I was planning on quilting a baby quilt this week, but I hurt my arm while lifting something too heavy, so I'm waiting a couple of days to start the quilting. I have so many unquilted quilt tops right now, that if lighting on the Juki is sufficient, I could work on quilting after dark, and piecing during any daylight hours I find to sew. That could keep me busy for months!

No comments: