Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Quilt for my Granddaughter

I've finished the quilt I designed for my latest granddaughter. This was not my first granddaughter, though this quilt has a bunch of firsts involved for me.
 

The sashing in this quilt had me using a ruler new to me, the Omnigrid On Point Ruler. Figuring out which sized HST's and QST's is easy, but having to cut those on point squares at weird measurements was a headache before I found this ruler. I now have no intimidation at all about using on point squares for anything.


The backing wasn't quite big enough, so I pieced in some of the sashing fabric, at what seemed to me a somewhat interesting design. See those wavy borders? First time I've attempted that too, and it was easy using the Eleanor Burns Scallops, Vines and Waves template.


Here in the close up you can see a few more firsts. It was the first time I have used gingham for a binding, which I think is adorable and I will use again. This quilt has my first ever Dresden Plates, these were made using Marti Michell Miniature Dresden Plate Templates. These Dresden Plates were the 5 1/2" rounded petals. It was also the first time I used my Accuquilt GO Critters die. There are two bees, two dragonflies, and nine butterflies on this quilt. This quilt was also my first quilt using 1930's reproduction fabrics. The borders and backing are modern prints, but all the rest are 1930's reproductions.

When my DD#1 asked me for a ultra-girly quilt, coral and teal predominant with NO blue and limited pink, plus having butterflies, this is what I came up with. What do you think? Mission accomplished?

1 comment:

Mary K said...

What a perfect girly quilt. You out did yourself. The first word was, "WOW!". Lucky girl.