Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Back to Sewing

Guess what? I am actually sewing again! After a month of not sewing it feels kind of strange. I'm having some issues keeping my rolling chair from rolling now that the floor is tile. I am definitely planning on recarpeting my sewing room someday.

I started back to piecing the project that I was working on when all the carpet drama started. I finished another 16 or so blocks, but still have a dozen or so to make.

We have a new addition to the house.


This is Wyatt. A new puppy to keep our older dog company after losing her littermate. The puppy actually belongs to DD#3, but since she lives with us, there is a puppy in the house.

A new puppy brings about challenges I hadn't considered. I needed to pin-baste Grand Illusion, and that's a challenge with a puppy who thinks batting is a huge toy. Thankfully, DD#3 took him out for the day, and I did get my pin-basting done.


I did a bit more organizing in the sewing room. I decided to put my smaller minibolts in plastic drawers to keep the dust off. Target has the drawers in purple, which I thought was fun. These drawers aren't full, and not all of them have minibolts in them.


DH and I took a day trip and ended up in some old mining towns. I took this photo of a floor of a saloon in a very old building. It's still a saloon in half the building, and the other half is an antique store. I saw some great vintage sewing machines, and some great and not-so so-great quilts. I hate seeing cheap Chinese garbage being touted as antique hand made quilts, but I did see that in a couple shops. I also saw some really lovely old quilts.




I started quilting on Grand Illusion today. This is my first attempt at this quilting pattern. I've done a similar pattern once before, but that was a couple years ago. I still consider myself a beginner at free motion quilting, but I'll never get better without trying new things. For me, figuring out how to travel where I need to go is the hardest thing about a new design.

So, a little of this, a little of that, and life marches on!

2 comments:

Stephanie Newman said...

Firstly, Wyatt is adorable. Your quilting on Grand Illusion looks great. Such a pretty pattern and Iove the thread colour choice you made.

phxquilt said...

I've been practicing a pattern like yours. I too have trouble with traveling. I also has issues with consistency of size so I decided that my garden had different sized flowers so I purposely try to provide a variety of sizes. It seems to have helped and it also gives me good coverage.