Saturday, April 7, 2018

Baby Shower

Today is the baby shower for DD#1, so I've scheduled this to post, since I'm a busy Nana today! This is not  DD#1's first child, she's already got three, but the other three were born in South Africa. Since they moved to the USA with only their suitcases, bringing baby stuff along was not a priority. I'm not normally a fan of baby showers for anything but your first child, but moving internationally seems a good reason to break that rule. 

I've spent a bit of time this week decorating for the shower. I decided to do a Little Golden Book theme, and we scoured thrift stores in the area for a bunch of Little Golden books, which I'll give to DD#1 for her kids. 


The coffee cups on the middle of the mantle are prizes for the games. I actually stuck a bit more in them since I took this photo. There is an Amazon Kindle gift card, two tea bags, an instant latte packet, and two packets of hot chocolate mix in each cup.


A couple of the books on top of the bookcases are missing the toys I'll display with them. I've got to borrow them from my grandkids!


I packaged up the quilted bookmarks I made as shower favors, and stationed this basket (which I also made) by the front door, so people can grab them on their way out. There are 3 little chocolate bars in each package with a bookmark. 

Friday was all about food prep, since I'm serving brunch at the shower. 

To keep this quilt related, I managed to finish the baby quilt with only a couple days to spare!


This quilt is from a kit that's called Postcards from Sweden. It uses 36 different Kona solids, and buying the kit was easier than tracking down all those solids. This is actually the first quilt kit I've ever used. I've heard of people being shorted on fabric, but this one was quite generous. I can probably make another quilt larger than this one from the remaining fabric, but the color profile will be quite a bit different, since the colors I have the most of are the ones used fewest in this quilt. 


In this photo you can see that I quilted leaves all over the quilt. DD#1 and DSIL recently bought a home with acreage. They named it Nuwe Blare Homestead. Don't ask me to pronounce that first part, because I have no idea how to say it. I do know it is Afrikaans meaning New Leaf. With that connection, and this being their first US born child, I felt quilting leaves was a good choice on the baby's quilt. 

No comments: