Friday, January 4, 2019

First Finish of 2019

I just finished my first quilt for 2019, and it was my oldest UFO!


This quilt started out as Bonnie Hunter's Double Delight mystery quilt from 2008, but a different layout, different borders, and "proper aging" may have morphed it into something else. This quilt is 92x108", so queen sized. 

I'm really excited to get this quilt finished, for several reasons. 

1) It was my oldest UFO, and somewhat of a mental roadblock for me. Having it done should free me to finish more quilts. 

2) I promised myself I wouldn't do another Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt until I was all caught up finishing ones I had started. I still have one more to finish, but it's already a pile of blocks waiting to be assembled, so hopefully I can get that one done before next mystery quilt season. 

3) I was about to be crowned queen of UFO's in my Stashbusters Yahoo group, so I eeked out a finish just in time to avoid that! For the second year in a row, I started in the top ten ladies in waiting, and the list moves fast in January. Now I should drop to the bottom of the list and have some breathing room.

I'm quite happy I got this quilt finished even with a houseful of company. I carved out some time (about an hour) for myself every day, and got those borders quilted. Last of the company left yesterday, so today I pushed and finished the last border and got the binding on.

Tomorrow I'll have some company just for the day, then I think Sunday I'll start a basting spree. That grandbaby due yesterday has his daddy's sense of time and is determined to make a late arrival. Because of that, we've delayed our trip, so I can sneak in a few days of basting some of the quilt tops hanging in the closet. 

1 comment:

swooze said...

Double Delight is in my bucket list. I think this is the year! Well done on gettingbyourvfinish in.