Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 Year End Reckoning

2018 was a good quilting year for me! Much better than 2017 where I only finished 3 quilts. 

As usual, I took a photo of my empty spools for the year.


This really isn't a very accurate way of determining how much I've sewn, but I figure from year to year it eventually evens out. I did a lot of quilting this year, but I didn't empty any of my large cones, so none of my quilting thread is counted in this. 

These spools represent 19,035 yards of thread, or 16.5 miles.

I started this year with a UFO list of 53. I finished 19 UFO's this year, with another 6 new start finishes, bringing me to a total of 25 finished quilts for the year. 

The 25 quilts I finished, along with numerous non-quilting projects throughout the year, used about 250 yards of fabric. 

I finished all the goals I had set for myself at the end of 2017. Yup, definitely a good quilting year!

I've been revamping my UFO list for 2019, as well as making a list of quilting goals. 

I listed 51 UFO's for 2019. One of those I am currently quilting on, 20 are quilt tops waiting to be quilted. Probably another dozen are stacks of blocks needing assembly, or at least part of the blocks done. The rest are either cut out or have some units made. I likely have more than 51 UFOs, but I don't see much point in listing more, because I know I can't finish that many quilts in one year. 


My cutting table is a disaster. I'm currently on a cutting spree for several quilts on my 2019 deadline list. The quilts I'm cutting for on my deadline list I did put on my UFO list. I am cutting for a couple more that I'm not planning to work on soon, that have no deadline, so they are more a WIP or WHIMM and aren't going on my UFO list. 

I've been working on my 2019 goals, and although I'm still fiddling with whether or not I'm likely to actually finish them in 2019, here's what I'm attempting.

1) Three wedding quilts for nieces and nephews. All of these are currently being cut out.

2) A quilt for my bed, which is currently being cut out.

3) Baby quilt for grandbaby, Mr. T, due in May, not started.

4) Twin sized quilt for Miss S, started.

5) Twin sized quilt for Mr. J. Fabric collected, need to design before I can start

6) New bed quilt for DD#1, cut out

7) New quilt for DD#2, top done, waiting for quilting

8) Make weighted blankets until I am out of plastic pellets.

I have a couple other quilts I'd like to start and finish in 2019, but for now, this a good list of goals. I'd like to get at least a dozen of the completed quilt tops quilted in 2019, but I'm hoping for more than that. If I can get some of the quilts in blocks assembled into tops that would be great too. 

Moving UFO's to the next step was my method this year, and it was pretty successful. Every time I was assembling a deadline quilt, I grabbed a stack of blocks from a UFO and assembled that too. Everytime I needed a leader/ender project, I looked through my UFO's and looked for units that could be assembled as leaders/enders. I'm not trying to get caught up in a year, I'm just trying to keep momentum going. 

Right now I've got a house full of company. I've got lots going on in January, including more company and an out of town trip. I was hoping for a basting spree in January, but that may end up waiting until February. Until then I'll work on whatever I can. I still have baby bibs to finish, and I have lots of cutting to do. I'm hoping I'm not too high on the 2019 UFO challenge list, but we'll see. I could always finish my quilted mouse pad for a quick finish if I need to. 




No comments: