Sunday, December 2, 2018

It Runs in the Family

Some families run thick with musical talent, others athletic ability, mine runs thick with creative genes; the need to craft something yourself, even if it would be easier or less expensive to buy it ready made.

I remember my maternal grandfather woodworking, my granddaughter now has the doll cradle he made me when I was a little girl. I have my paternal grandmother's treadle sewing machine. I remember the bookshelves my dad made me, and all the clothes my mom made, even taking the time to hand embroider on my Easter outfit. My mother still crafts, and I hope I'll be doing the same in my 80's. 


My mom made this afghan for my next grandchild to be born. I left the note she tied on when I took the photo. She converted a coloring book picture to a stitch chart to make the elephant, still crafting, still innovative, still creative, even in her 80's. I had kept the afghan she made for my son too, when he was a baby, so this new grandbaby will be getting two afghans from his great-grandmother. 

My oldest sister is also incredibly talented, and while I mostly quilt, she dabbles in so many crafts! One of my daughters is currently pregnant, and she wanted something specific for the nursery wall, but was having a hard time finding it. My sister heard what she wanted, and made it in just a few days.


Won't this look adorable in a nursery?


My sister made herself this scrappy afghan and I loved the look of it...


..so she made me one. It's usually me giving away blankets, not receiving one! 


While she was crocheting, she made hats for my grandkids. She actually made two more than this, but two of my grandkids already got theirs. 

My sister does a lot of papercrafts too.


She made beads out of scrap scrapbooking paper, then made a basket from the beads.

She likes upcycling as well, her junk mail looks way better than mine!


All the quilling in this is made from junk mail.


This little lady also started out as junk mail. The junk mail in my house just goes into the recycle bin, and my version of upcycling is turning clothes into quilts! 

I've been watching the next generation figure out their creative talents. One of my daughters is really into photography. Another is an amazing baker, making up her own recipes and flavor combinations. My youngest daughter likes to weld and do metal crafts. 


She made me this quilter from scrap metal and old bicycle parts. 

My oldest son has dabbled in woodworking, and my youngest son was really into cartooning for a while. I have a niece that's a chef, and another that does the graphics for video games. One of my nephews has done extensive landscaping and remodeling. Those creative genes go on, I can't wait to see how they show in the next generation!


No comments: