Thursday, December 27, 2018

Even More Weighted Blankets

I finished two more weighted blankets, and that is very important to me BECAUSE...those two blankets finished the list of goals I had for 2018, that I made at the end of 2017!!!!! Go me!

The last few years I've not met my goals, because life has been crazy. It's still crazy, but in different ways now. It feels amazing to finally meet my year's goals again. I'm working on next year's list, and it's already longer than I'd like, but I'll do what I can. 


This was one of the weighted blankets.


This was the other. It's for kids so a little smaller. 


I was playing bobbin chicken on that last weighted blanket, sewing on Christmas Day. I had a nice Christmas win at bobbin chicken, and finished with only a few inches to spare. 

Since we celebrated Christmas early, and our next round of company arrives today, I actually spent Christmas Eve taking down all the Christmas decorations. I knew if I didn't get the decorations down, there was a chance I wouldn't get them down until mid January, and that would have driven me a bit crazy. 

I'm not planning any more quilty finishes in 2018. If I get any sewing time, I'll work on baby bibs. I mostly plan to work on cutting in any scraps of time I find. At least with the Studio cutter even 15 minutes of cutting leaves me with a noticeable pile of pieces! One of the quilts I'm cutting for is an equilateral triangle quilt, and I can cut 60 triangles in one pass. Honestly, I now spend more time ironing the fabric before cutting than I do actually cutting. 

I ordered some fleece to make up more weighted blankets. Fleece has been my favorite fabric for making weighted blankets. Quilting cotton I think you can feel the pellets too much, Flannel I worry about holding up, minky is really messy to use and drives me nuts. Fleece is sturdy, thick enough to not feel each individual pellet, and easy to work with. I have a LOT more pellets left than I anticipated. I'll just keep making weighted blankets until they are gone. I like using fleece for quilt backing, so any extra fleece I have will be used up soon enough. 

I am still working on FMQ my oldest UFO. The center is finished, and I've got a plan for the three borders. My plan is to have that old UFO be my first finish of 2019. We'll see!

No comments: