Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Year End Reckoning 2019

I am pretty happy with my quilting life for 2019. I just looked back at my list of goals for 2019, and I actually only completed four of the eight goals I listed. I did, however, move forward on the other four, they just aren't finished. 


Here are my empty thread spools from this year. They represent 17,930 yards, or over 11 miles of thread. I know I used a lot more thread than this, because I had 37 quilt finishes this year. Of my 37 finishes, 14 were UFO's, 23 were new starts. Hurrah for 23 new starts not becoming UFO's!!!

By my figuring, and I did figure square inches of each quilt, and doubled it (all finished quilts have backing too) I came up with over 225 yards of fabric used in finished quilts in 2019. I'm sure that is low, because I only took off 10% for seams, and I'm sure I should have taken off more than that. I made a lot more than just quilts this year though, baby swaddling blankets, burp rags, pillowcases, bowl cozies, etc... all take fabric as well. I'm going to guess I used around 300 yards of fabric in 2019. I gave away quite a bit of fabric in 2019 as well!


Here is what my sister did with some of that Christmas fabric I gave her. She made aprons for all the women in my family. These are the women who were here on Saturday for our family Christmas. 

Now that I've wrapped up 2019, what's on the agenda for 2020? 

I have a few deadline quilts.

1) baby quilt for grandbaby due in March (pattern chosen)
2) big girl bed quilt for granddaughter turning 2 in May (quilt top done)
3) wedding quilt for nephew getting married (narrowing down pattern choice and fabrics) wedding date undetermined

I have a few quilts I'd like to finish, that are currently UFO's

4) quilt for our bed, could 2020 be our year? (cut out)
5) quilt for Miss S that got set aside (some blocks done)
6) King sized quilt for DD#1 (I need to cut sashing so I can start assembly)
7) quilt for a great-niece (quilt top done)

My main goal for 2020 is to get my second sister's clothes sewn into memory quilts for her family. This will mean 3-5 quilts. 

I had a few people ask for quillows after Christmas, if they weren't one of the 15 that got one. I have enough pellets left for one weighted blanket, and I'll have to actually make it, because one of the ones I made early on met a tragic end and needs to be replaced. 

I'll continue working on moving UFO's to the next step, especially if I can do it as a leader/ender. I have a stack of UFO's pin basted and I'd like to quilt my way through that stack, no worries if I don't though. 

2020 will be more about new starts for me than finishing UFO's. I'm sure I will finish some UFO's, but really my deadline quilts and the memory quilts are much more important to me to get done. 

2020 calendar is already filling up with family stuff, so I'm expecting another busy, busy year. It's good to have goals, but it's also good to know life happens and you can't always finish what you want to do. Family always comes before quilts. 

Wishing you all a wonderful 2020, may it be a year of clarity, new beginnings, and lots of quilty goodness!




No comments: