Thursday, May 18, 2023

The Skies Have Been Blue

 ...But the fabric has been gray (or grey, if you prefer).


Last week I told you I had five more quilt tops I wanted to finish up before I put the 2" cut squares away. Well, I've finished three of those five quilt tops, and I've been sewing with a lot of gray!

A few weeks ago I finished a quilt, also with gray, that used all my WOW squares. 


This one used scrap solid white squares. There's a bunch of different white solids in there, and the colored squares are just random. The gray fabric for this quilt was a remnant of grunge wideback I picked up at a big markdown. These scrap quilts come out whatever size they can be until I run out of the constant fabric. This used all of that remnant. 1,040 2" squares busted in this one.

I did still have four patches made with white solids left over, but not enough for a second quilt.


You can't really tell in the photo, but every other light diagonal line is made with cream colored solids. By doing that I used up the remaining four patches I had made with white solids, but also busted the cream solids. The gray fabric in this quilt was scraps from a wideback I used to back a quilt. 792 squares busted.

I had a bunch of green squares, and I hadn't done anything color controlled with green yet. 


I used all the various greens with cream on cream or white on cream scrap squares. The gray for this quilt was actually the rest of some solid gray yardage I had. It wasn't technically scraps, but it's busted nevertheless. 960 squares busted.

These three quilt tops bring my total number of 2" cut squares busted to....16,617!!! I still have two more quilt tops started that will go into the total, hopefully next week. I'm not adding them into the total until the quilt tops are finished, so what's your guess on my final total?

No comments: