Friday, May 5, 2023

Mostly Units

 Most of my week has been spent making units, and some of those units are even sewn into quilt blocks. I've only finished one quilt top this week.


The white squares in this quilt top are a bunch of scraps from WOW fabrics. The colored squares just multicolored squares that didn't fit into one color category, and the grey is again scraps of leftover wideback cut into 3.5" squares. When I'm doing any color controlled thing with scraps, the quilt ends up whatever size it is when I've run out of whatever I'm being consistent on. In this case, I happened to run out the grey squares first.

This quilt used 720 2" squares, bringing my total of 2" squares sewn into quilt tops to 11,582. I'm currently assembling two other quilts with 2" squares, and I've got the blocks done for yet another one. There are still several quilt tops to be made from these 2" squares before I set them aside. My goal is to get down to just one container of squares before I put them aside, and I've still got two containers, not full ones, but I can't fit them in one container, so I'll keep sewing with them. I am starting to get sick of 2" squares, so I started using 3" finished HST's as my leader/enders, just to be able to look at something else. I've got enough HST's cut for more than one quilt, they were cut when I decided to bust all my 3.5" scrap strips. No matter what I'm working on, it's still busting scraps and that's a good thing. 


I haven't bought many men's shirts for quilting lately, because so many thrift shops have raised the prices so high I may as well buy fabric. DH and I went to several thrift stores on his day off this week, and only one had prices low enough for me to buy, and when I got to the register, I found out the shirts were half off that day! I ended up getting 5 men's shirts for $7.50! Most of the thrift shops we went to the prices started at $12 a shirt, which I found to be quite high. Definitely higher than I'm willing to pay for shirts I'm going to use for quilting. One of the thrift shops had a bunch of yardage, but when they are charging $6 a yard for 20 year old fabric I'm not buying. I already own a lot of fabric, if I'm adding to stash I either have to love it, or it has to be a great deal. They had bags of scraps too, and I LOVE playing with other people's scraps, but a $10 price tag for a sandwich bag full of scraps is not going to get me to buy it. It seems like inflation is really getting out of hand when thrift stores are charging those kinds of prices. It also could be I'm just cheap, and that's valid too 😉

Hopefully I'll get some of these quilt tops assembled in the next week, and can post some eye candy for you next time. In the meantime, if you are looking for scrap quilt ideas, I just came across THIS site, and they have some fantastic stuff posted! So many great scrap quilts to make!

1 comment:

Elle said...

I've never had the low prices on shirts or yardage that I've seen bloggers post. $4.98 was about the lowest and now they are $7.98.

I love that you are tallying those 2" squares. (I'm a nerd).

Happy stitching Melody.