Thursday, May 11, 2023

Two Quilt Tops

 I'm still working with those 2" cut squares! I haven't met my goal of getting down to one container of them.


This quilt top used up 783 squares. I didn't want to use white cornerstones, but I didn't have enough of the blue fabric left to do it without cornerstones. I didn't have enough scrap squares of any other color to the cornerstones besides white. 


I had cut the blue for this quilt before the other one, and I didn't have enough blue to do all the colored strips from all blue. Since I was going for a woven look on this one, I figured using two colors would work just fine. This is a twin sized quilt, one of the larger ones I've made. This quilt busted 1,500 squares. I was trying to bust my black, white, and gray squares on these, but I also have another quilt in the works with the same colors. That one I have the units done, but not the blocks assembled yet. It uses red as the background. I hope to get it assembled this month, but I'm not working on it right now. 

Adding these two tops to my running total, I'm now at 13,865 squares sewn into quilt tops. I've got FIVE more quilt tops in progress with the 2" squares, and I'm really hoping I can get the remaining squares into one container at that point, because I'm really over working with this size scrap. My goal is to finish the five quilts I already have started, then move onto other things. Two of the five only need to be assembled, the blocks are done, so those two will likely make the blog next week. 

I am using 3" HST's as my leader/enders right now, just to give myself a break from all the squares. I won't be making any blocks from those until I'm done the five quilt tops I have in progress already. When I looked at all those squares together in March, I wasn't thinking that I'd be making so many quilts from them and still be overflowing containers. It's pretty crazy how far a few containers of squares can go. 

My goal for June is to work on the swag bags for the scooter rally in November, and start working on busting some strings! I haven't made string blocks in a very long time, and I think that will be a lot of fun. For the rest of May it's finishing up the projects I have already going, so I can put the remaining 2" squares away with no guilt. Those squares won't weigh on my mind if I know I busted the majority of them. 



No comments: