Friday, May 26, 2023

End of the 2" Square Busting...

 ...for now at least!


This is one of the bigger quilt tops I've made in this scrap busting spree. It's a twin/full sized top. 1,728 squares busted in this one. 


This is the last of the quilts I had planned using four patches. No color control on this one aside from the teal alternating squares. I've discovered teal works well as a background for my scrap quilts, because I don't have much teal in my stash, so it contrasts pretty well. There are 792 2" cut squares in those four patches. 

Did I make my goal of getting the remaining squares into one container?


I sure did, and they aren't even crammed in there all disorganized! I've got a whole row of blue, and I've got a plan for those, but I really need a break from this size scrap. In June I need to start working on rally bags, and get back to my FMQ one hour a day, but I'm planning on my scrap sewing being strings. Sewing up scraps won't be my focus for June, but it's been ages since I did some string sewing, and my containers are overflowing. I find sewing strings super relaxing too, my strings are all wonky things. Leftover bits I couldn't get a 1.5" strip from, or crooked bits I cut off when straightening up the edges of fabric. It will be fun after sewing up all those squares!

Are you ready for the 2" square total??? Drum roll, please...........

19,137 

That's a LOT of squares. I made 17 quilt tops with them, and I obviously have enough squares left to make more. DH was trying to figure out why my number was odd, when I had made so many four patches. Even the quilts I used nine patches in ended up being even numbers. I looked over my notes and saw it right away. The quilt I used cornerstones on had an odd number of cornerstones, so that's why the total is odd. 

To give you a context of how much fabric that is, if you have one yard of fabric with 42" of usable width, you can cut 378 2" squares from it. To cut 19,137 squares, you would need 50.6 yards of fabric! Only the Scrap Vomit quilts were exclusively 2" squares, so I actually used a lot more fabric than that in the last three months. I never count the fabric as busted until the quilt is completely finished, quilted and bound.  I don't know exactly when these quilts will be finished, but now there are even more quilt tops for the quilting queue.


I saw this t-shirt for sale this week, and if I wore t-shirts, I'd buy it. I already had a bunch of quilt tops to be quilted, but now I've got 17 more added to that! Yup, it's definitely time to get back to FMQ an hour a day. 

No comments: