Thursday, May 27, 2010

As Much as Will Fit on the Design Wall


I managed to get the rest of the blocks for DD#1's new quilt done today. When I tried to put the blocks on the design wall, I could fit 8 blocks across, and 7 blocks high, when in reality the quilt will be 10 blocks across and 12 blocks high. I'm not very happy with the pictures I took, the colors look more washed out than in real life, but perhaps you can see the concentric blue and green diamonds? The brown squares should also make diamond-like shapes, and the white squares go out from the center. This picture is proof I am nowhere near as good a photographer as DD#1 is!

I purchased a fabric for the border at the same time I purchased all of these other fabrics last year. I had been debating between using that border fabric or doing some type of pieced border. Looking at the photo I'm leaning towards using the border fabric, along with a solid narrow spacer border. I think maybe this needs a strong frame around it. I can change my mind multiple times between now and when I'm working on the borders, so who knows what I'll actually do? I'll lay out a few options after the center is assembled, and post them on here so DD#1 can see and let her choose. Ah, so when will the center be assembled? I have no clue! I'm babysitting full days the next couple of days, then DH has a couple of days off and there are errands to be run. I'm hoping I get to work on assembly some time next week.

I ordered several quilt stencils this morning. I've been debating on ordering them for weeks, putting some in my virtual cart then hitting empty cart when I decided against it. I gave in this morning, and I can't wait for them to arrive! I have several quilts waiting for quilting, and I want to practice with some guidelines a while longer before I try completely free-handing it. Some of the designs I chose stencils for I don't think I'd ever be able to freehand anything like them, no matter how much practice I have!

1 comment:

Stephanie Newman said...

Melodie,
I love, love, love this colourway and design you are making. There are so many ways that block could be laid out..you have me thinking on making a chocolate, turquoise, lime and cream quilt one day now! I love the warmth and coolness of the colour combinations together.