Thursday, May 13, 2010

Is the top done? I'm not sure...


I just finished assembling the Carolina Christmas mystery quilt. I knew all along I wasn't going to use Bonnie's border for this quilt, and my original plan was to do a piano key border with all the scrappy blues from the center. Now that I used blue sashing, I don't think that will look right, even if I use a spacer border of white or pink. I don't want a big pink border, so I'm stuck! I really like the bright blue sashing, but now I'm unsure what to do.

I also am not used to square quilts. The quilt is already close to the width I wanted, but I'm not big on uneven borders just to make it taller. The quilt is sitting on a king sized blanket in my driveway. I'm thinking it may just be done. I have never made a quilt that stopped with the sashing. I have made borderless quilts, and quilts with multiple borders, but I've never just stopped after the sashing. This may be my first time doing that, because unless I have a brainstorm, I will not add to this quilt just to make it larger. Especially because I'm not sure if I really want it any larger.

I guess I've been pretty indecisive lately. I am still making progress on my projects, so if I have to mull things over a few days, but work on something else in the meantime, I guess that's OK. I think I am going to go with the rust sashing on my Swing Your Partner quilt, and use navy cornerstones. Now that I'm temporarily stumped on Carolina Christmas, I'll be working on DD#1's Buckeye Beauty quilt (I already have a stack of four patches), and also try to get my autumn string quilt assembled. I have so many quilts I want and/or need to start, I'm trying to get a few WIPS to at least the completed top stage.

5 comments:

Cherokee_Sunshine said...

i like it just like it is. Are you going to bind it in the same fabric as the sashing?

Lynn Dykstra said...

It is done. I would leave it as is without borders. Gives it a 1940s style finish to a beautiful quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like it as is, but of you think it needs another border what about a darker blue?

Andee said...

It looks great!

Carol said...

My two cents worth. I think it looks great as is or you could add a plain white border.