Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I've Been Stripping!


I didn't get much done in my sewing room last week. It has just been crazy and I've been so tired. This week my main focus is getting some cutting done, so my next couple of projects are ready to start. I'm also trying to get some blocks sewn into quilt tops. The photo above shows the strips for DD#1's new quilt. She wants a Buckeye Beauty quilt, and I got it all figured out Quilt Wizard. She wants it to be brown, blue, and green. The four patches will be brown and white, with the HST's being blue and green. I will strip sew the brown and white strips together for the four patches, then subcut. For the HST's I still need to cut the triangles with my Easy Angle ruler, but now that the strips are cut, I don't mind doing the subcutting a bit at a time as I need them.


I realized as I was cutting all of the fabrics I bought for her quilt, that the shades of blues and greens don't really play well with the rest of my stash. I decided to cut up all the blues and greens I bought for this quilt, and try to use up all of the fabrics in a couple of quilts. I cut 10 1/2 inch squares so I can piece the backs, and I cut the rest of it into 2 inch and 2 1/2 inch strips. There are two quilt designs that caught my eye recently, and one uses all two inch strips, and the other uses all 2 1/2 inch strips. Look at all of those strips! I'll probably end up with some left over, even after making the two bonus quilts, but that's ok, I'll just toss them in my strip drawers.


I got the sashing cut for my Carolina Christmas quilt. I am going with the blue polka dot and I bought just a fat quarter of the white with blue polka dots for the cornerstones. Yes, I'm on no-buy, but sashing is an allowable purchase and with only a fat quarter I didn't buy more than I needed.

I also got the sashing and cornerstones cut for the autumn string blocks I made a while back. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about borders on either of these quilts, so if I just get the tops assembled and ready for borders, I'll be happy.


Another quilt that needs sashing cut is my Swing Your Partner blocks. I haven't decided which color sashing to use, but I definitely want a solid. The blocks are all made from men's shirts, and the border will be too. I really want a solid sashing. I will probably use cornerstones on this quilt too, but I can't decide the color for those until I choose sashing. I am debating between
this rust...


...and this bright red...


...and this burgundy...

If you have an opinion leave a comment. I'm working on so many projects at once I'm having a hard time with some of the decisions. My sewing room was becoming over run with piles of blocks that needed to be made into tops. I'm trying to clear a few of these out, while I work on some new projects too.

2 comments:

Howard said...

I like the burgundy.

Louise said...

What pretty blocks! Personally I prefer the burgundy. It gives a richer look to the blocks. Louise