...a brown inner border with the concentric diamonds outer border. I just finished sewing the borders on about 5 minutes ago, snapped a photo, and here I am posting it already! If any of you were looking for a comment from DD#1 on her choice, sorry, she told me on facebook :-) Now to get a backing pieced for it!
Here is one of my four patch and furrows quilt top. This one has the dark squares of the four patches following the furrows.
This is the other one and it has the light squares following the furrows. This one has more random four patches, and the other is more planned. The inner border on each quilt top is different, but the outer border is the same.
Last year I was in a secret sister swap in one of my online quilting groups. One of the things I got from my secret sister was a Moda charm pack. I have been debating on what to do with it, and I have several patterns using charm squares, but I decided to try something I saw in a quilting magazine a while back. I had to add a few of my own 5" squares to make the center the size I wanted it, but I wanted to try adding rick rack over the seam lines. I have a bit of rick rack just languishing in a drawer, and I decided to try this idea and see if I liked it. I think it looks cute, but I want to see how hard it is to quilt before I do it again. This used a lot more rickrack than I thought it would. I used 4 packages of green rick rack, and they are not all the same shade of green. At that rate, it would not take long to empty my rick rack drawer, but the last few quilts would be very colorful as far as the rick rack goes. I don't think I have four of the exact shade of any of it.
This is the first charm pack I've ever had. I've never bought a jelly roll or anything along those lines. I would never have thought to put those colors together. The pack had a Valentine's feel to it, and the colors white, red, and pink are typical colors for that. It was when I saw the brown and lime green that I was surprised. Not even the brown so much, it just remined me of Valentine's chocolates. The lime green was what really surprised me the most. I think that's why I went with it, and used green rick rack and a lime green inner border. I don't think I would have ever put lime green and red together in anything but a scrap quilt, but I'm liking it. It also gave me a break from the other colors I've been working with.
I've still got one more lap quilt waiting for borders (besides the purple one), one in rows waiting for final assembly, one on the design wall, and three others waiting for their turn on the design wall. As soon as the back is pieced for DD#1's Buckeye Beauty quilt, it and Carolina Christmas go to the LAQ. I'm quilting the rest myself.
Time is sort of getting away from me. I usually only babysit once or twice a week, and this week I'm babysitting three times, and next week at least three. Assembling the quilts hasn't taken as long as I thought it might, but sewing on the borders has taken much longer. When I'm adding two simple borders, I always think, it's only 8 seams, how long could it take? The answer to that question seems to be about two and half times more than I thought it would!
I have a non quilty project I'd like to work on next week. I don't know if it will get done, but I've been putting it off for two years already, and I really need to just get it done. If I do work on that, there will be no pictures of that until late this month. It will be a present. We'll see what happens, I've been ADD on projects lately.
I thought I found the perfect background fabric for my sea themed quilt, and then I found out the place I found it doesn't have enough. It's so frustrating! I can't start any of the quilt without the background. I already know that quilt is going to take a while as it is. I think I have a lead on another source for the background fabric, so I may just have to order it from there.
Sketch in prep for toxic barrel quilt
12 hours ago