Sunday, February 6, 2011

One More Top

I didn't get near as much done as far as sewing goes as I had hoped, but I did get the borders on this one quilt top. I had no clue what fabric to use for borders for this, and as I was hunting through my yardage, I had a bit of an epiphany.

I couldn't find anything in my yardage that I liked with this center, so I started looking through my 1 yard and under bolts. I had this yellow which I really liked, and I had just enough to do the border. That is when I realized something about myself. I hate using the last of a fabric that I like. Now if I don't like a fabric, or am just sick of it, I am relieved to have the rest of it gone, but if I really like a fabric, I don't want to use the rest of it. I do have a tiny bit of this left, and by that, I mean a couple short strings (less than 6 inches long), one 1 1/2 inch strip, and four 5 inch squares. Realistically, this means this fabric will show up in three more quilts, since I have three different sizes stuck in my scrap user system. Still, there isn't a lot left, and it's not enough to be a major part of a quilt. It makes me sad, using all of this fabric. I do like the way it looks on this quilt, I don't regret using it for the border. I'm just sad I don't have more of it left.

On the up side, my fabric storage system is working just as it should. I have all pieces over one yard in one area, and pieces one yard and under in another. If I'm using my fabric, it starts in the yardage area, moves to the one yard and under area when it's down to that, and the last little bit goes into the pre-cut shape or strip drawers. Eventually it will be used up entirely, and that is really the point, to use my fabric, not hoard it.

OK, now that I've admitted my unusual attachment to fabric, I can go to bed happy in the knowledge that I am not alone in my odd fabric obsession. I hear plenty of fabric obsession stories in my Yahoo quilting groups :-)

No comments: