Monday, December 19, 2011

Step 5 Progress

I must admit, I haven't sewn a stitch on Step 5, but I am happy with my progress anyway. Getting all of those stockings finished yesterday still has me happy!

I was trimming the step 4 string blocks, and I couldn't resist playing around with them. I don't know what Bonnie has planned, but a block like this may need to be played with later on, lots of movement in it!

I had to switch to a bigger pan to hold all of my mystery quilt parts. I have all the Step 4 blocks trimmed now :-)

I did get all 700 of the triangles we need for step 5 cut today. Brown is my neutral, and the yellow/gold is my black, so I needed gold triangles. I should have some time to start sewing these tomorrow. I was using several fat quarters to add some variety in my golds, and this is the last bits of several of my fat quarters. If we need any more of this color, I'm either going to have to dig deeper in my stash, go buy a few more fat quarters, or do the next step that calls for this color with a limited variety. If we need gold strips, I may be able to come up with enough in my strips drawers, depending on which size we need.


I have a baby quilt I am going to try to make in just a few days. I'm just making a big nine patch with five appliqued squares and for my four squares I decided to use a block from Bonnie's Addicted to Scraps column in Quiltmaker magazine. I'm using the Happy Hour block, which someday I would like to use to make a whole quilt. I cut out the four Happy Hour blocks when I was finished cutting all those triangles.

To check how other quilters are progressing on their Orca Bay Mystery Quilts, go here
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/12/mystery-monday-link-up-part-5.html

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Melodie, your fabrics and colours are out of this world! I'm going to visit again to see your progress. How refreshing to be different! Great job!

Rabid Quilter from California said...

Ohhh your idea about what the block will look like is wonderful! I want to make THAT!! Your color palette is great too. Happy Quilting!

carolyn berroeta said...

that layout is really nice ! Maybe you've guessed .....

Kathy's A Quilter said...

great fun speculating about where this goes next. You have some great colour and fabric choices.

Kathy said...

I think your colors are beautiful! It's getting exciting waiting for the next clue every week.