Saturday, May 26, 2012

Foraging in Flagstaff

On our trip to Flagstaff we went to several thrift stores. I love thrift stores and antique shops, you just never know what you will see there. That is some of the only shopping I enjoy, you have to drag me to a mall. I have been good and not buying men's shirts in town anymore, but I had planned on buying some on this trip. When looking for men's shirts for quilting, I figure yellow, orange, and purple are always fair game, because they are hard to find. Lights I also give a free pass to, since I always run shorts on those. I was specifically looking for green and brown, because I am planning a Smith Mountain Morning quilt in those colors. I was avoiding blue for the most part, because blue shirts are easy to find, and I already have a bunch. I did find two aqua and one turquoise shirt that I bought because those are more rare, especially the aqua. My grand total on shirts for this trip was 36 shirts, and one cotton dress to be used for quilting. I averaged less than $2 a shirt. I took the buttons off all the shirts this evening, and I plan on breaking them down into parts over the next few days.

Look at all these shirts to play with!
Here are some of my other finds.
















An accessory box for $2, what's in it?










Original Singer feet, which I believe will fit the Featherweight on my wish list. The seam guide I was all excited about, as I love them on my Berninas. I was also really excited to see a ruffler. I know it's doing things backwards to buy some feet for a  machine I don't have, but for $2, I figured it was worth it.
 

Check out this bobbin. I saw a handcrank once with a bullet shaped bobbin case, but I didn't get a chance to look at the bobbin. Is that what this is, I'm not sure?

Sorry for the two pics that are sideways, I am still trying to figure out my new phone and the changes that blogger made recently. I'm not sure which one was the problem this time. 

I haven't sewn a stitch since I've been home, I've mostly been doing stuff around the house. I really need to pinbaste some more baby quilts, especially for the two babies coming in July or so. I have so many projects I want to be working on, it's hard to decide what to do first. I am hoping tomorrow will have some quilty activities in it, rather than the reorganizing our bedroom closet of today!

1 comment:

Stephanie Newman said...

Melodie, That indeed looks like a bobbin for a hand crank. But which I don't know because different models can have different sizes and lengths even within one brand.
What a nice haul you have there, have fun ripping those shirts up!
And them, maybe soon a Featherweight will come your way to put those accessories onto.