Friday, February 9, 2018

Accidental Discovery

I bought a new-to-me desk from the Habistore. I've been wanting a desk in my bedroom for my laptop for months now, and now I have one. This desk has a high sheen on it, and my computer mouse won't work on it's surface. I know, a laptop has a built in pad to use instead of a mouse, but I prefer using a mouse, so I do. I've been using my laptop all over the house up until now, and I don't own a mouse pad. I used to use my leg a lot, and my pants always made an adequate mouse pad. Now that I have this shiny desk, it looks like I need a mouse pad.

I looked around online for a mousepad, and they are either boring, or expensive, neither of which I liked. As I've been using my desk, I happened to move my mouse over DD#3 wedding quilt top, which is folded at the end of my desk. Hmmm, mouse works fine on a quilt. IDEA FLASH- Mouse Works Fine on Quilts! Guess who is now making a quilted computer mouse pad?

I mentioned in my last post I am planning a baby shower for DD#1. I chose a Little Golden Book theme, and with a book theme, I thought a fun favor would be quilted bookmarks.



I drew up some ideas for bookmarks, and this week I started cutting out parts for these. I'm planning the bookmarks to finish at 2x8 inches, so fairly small pieces. I had already decided to make my quilted mouse pad from 1" finished HST's, so I can work on both projects at the same time. The thing is, I'm not a huge fan of cutting 1" HST's. One of the things I LOVE about quilting, is there is always more than one way to do something.


I grabbed out some Thangles papers, looked though my scrap user system for 1.5" cut strips, and I started sewing up some HST's. I'm using the Thangles strips as leaders/enders for each other, and when I'm done, I'll cut them apart, take off the paper, and press. For bigger HST's, I have no issue using my Easy Angle ruler, but for these little guys, I just prefer doing them this way.


I ended up with a pretty nice pile sewn up today, and I should finish tomorrow. I'll have enough HST's for both bookmarks and my mouse pad. I decided I want my mouse pad 8"x10", which means 80 1" HST's or 160 pieces in my mouse pad top. Is that excessive? Who knows, just sounds like fun to me!

No comments: