Thursday, April 25, 2019

Attempt at Modern or Abstract?

Now that the Asian quilt top is completed, it's on to the next wedding quilt. I don't plan on basting them until all three quilt tops are finished. Of the two wedding quilts left, one is a twin-sized modern quilt, the other a king-sized curved log cabin. I debated which one to work on next, and decided that I'd save the log cabin quilt for last. I didn't save it because I'm dreading making a king-sized quilt, I make king-sized quilts a lot. I saved it because I think it will actually be faster to piece that than the twin-sized quilt. I have all the pieces for the log cabin quilt cut to size, and there are two varieties of blocks. I can easily chain piece all of one type, then chain piece all of the other. It really shouldn't take that long to get all the blocks made. 

The twin-sized quilt is my attempt at a modern style quilt all in batiks. I LOVE my equilateral triangle dies, it was quick as can be to cut out this quilt. I'm having to work sideways on my design wall, because the quilt won't fit vertically. 


Here's what I've got done so far. In my mind, I'm picturing the purple as a pool of water at the bottom of the quilt. (Remember, I'm working sideways) While there is only 8 rows of purple, there will be 18 rows of green. I have random purple "raindrops" falling though the green sky into the purple pool below. I suppose you could consider the purple clouds with the rain falling from them if you put the purple section on top. 

I don't know that this is modern so much as abstract. I think I was just in the mood to make something REALLY different from my usual. The end proportions of the colors of the quilt will be almost exactly 1/3 purple, 2/3 green. The rows are off from that, but since I'm adding purples among the greens, it comes out almost exact when you consider number of pieces. 

I've debated making the purple section the center of the quilt, with 9 rows of green on either side, but I'm leaning towards sticking with my original idea with the all the purple on one end. I will be trimming the edges of the quilt straight, when I cut equilateral triangles with a rotary cutter I cut half triangles for the edges, but the die I have doesn't have that option. I'll just trim when the quilt top is finished. 

Triangles are not hard to sew, especially when the die I used to cut them trims the corner in a manner where they are really easy to line up. I've yet to use a pin while assembling the rows. What is taking so much time is having 41 triangles in each row, and I'm laying out one row at a time. I don't mind having two similar triangles together but I'm trying not to have them blending into diamonds or half hexies. It's a bit easier now that I'm in the greens. I had about 40 different green batiks, but only 19 different purple ones. I don't have a stash of batiks, I usually just buy them as I use them. 

Since I am only assembling one row at a time, I am using lots of leader/enders right now. I switched leader/ender projects when I was working on the Asian quilt. My bin of 2" cut squares was completely overflowing, and it was time to do something about that. 


So far I've made nine 100 patch blocks, and I have enough strips of ten to make three more blocks. All I can say if that my squares finally fit in the container I use for them. I've cut more yellow, orange and purple squares, but aside from that I'm still working from the original batch. 


If this is what the silverware divider looks like after I've sewn up 1,200 squares (and added back in maybe 200-300), you can imagine how heaped it was before. I plan to keep making hundred patches at least until I get this wedding quilt top assembled. How many blocks will I end up with? Who knows, but I know I won't run out of squares. Looks like I may need more pink though, it's getting pretty low. I'll cut more if I need it. It's easy enough to go to my 2" strip drawers and grab out whatever color I need, because all my strip drawers are also sorted by color. 

I think I might have a couple hundred patches hanging around that I made a couple years ago, when I stop working on these as leaders/enders I'll look around and see if I can find them, then stick them all together. I've got enough blocks made now that I'd consider this a UFO if it doesn't get made into a quilt this year. A lot of the time, when I'm working this scrappy, I'm working with a rough idea of what I want to make, but I don't figure out size or exact layout until I'm tired of making blocks. I have a couple different ideas for a layout, and I'm guessing I'm going to end up with more than one quilt out of the 100 patches. With these I'd rather make two twins than one king-sized quilt, but we'll see. Right now I'm just making blocks, with nothing set in stone. It's kind of nice to work on something with no deadlines while I'm also making progress on the deadline stuff. 

I get about four rows of ten made for the 100 patch blocks while piecing one row of triangles. I have twelve more rows of triangles to make, so 48 more rows of squares will get made, which is almost 5 more 100 patches. I can also piece more squares while sewing the rows of triangles together. After the wedding quilt top is together, I'll see if I want to switch leader/ender projects again or keep making 100 patches. I need to have some fun no deadline stuff going on, and I'm trying to limit those projects to either a different UFO or just sewing up some stuff that's getting out of hand like these squares were. It's all good, progress is progress, and quilts are getting finished, just not all at once. 


No comments: