Thursday, April 18, 2019

Quilty Musings

Do you ever get asked why you quilt? Why do you cut up perfectly good fabric to reassemble it in a different fashion? Have you ever given a quilt to someone who didn't appreciate it? Have you ever given one to someone who cherished it? Do quilts matter?

I'm sure there are a lot of answers to these questions, but this is what I've been pondering this week. I make a lot of quilts, and I give most of them away. I have given quilts to babies, to people celebrating weddings and anniversaries, toddlers moving from crib to big bed, teens who outgrew their kid quilt, people fighting illness or loss, people just to let them know I care, and even complete strangers via various charities. Some of those quilts have been received with tears of joy, others with polite nods. 

I received news this week that a friend of mine passed away. When she was found, she was wrapped in the quilt I gave her several years ago. I know she loved that quilt and used it all the time. I hope it brought her comfort in the end. 

I'm being blessed with three grandchildren within 12 months time. The third of those is due any day. Those babies were touching my quilts soon after birth. As were all the other grandkids I've got. We use quilts to build blanket forts, snuggle and watch movies, keep warm on long car trips. Two of my grandkids won't sleep at a hotel unless they've got one of their quilts with them. 

Do quilts matter? I guess it depends on who you ask. I recently learned of a quilt I had given that had been met with indifference. At the time, it was not appreciated. The things is, circumstances changed, and now that same quilt is cherished. It's not serving the same purpose I made it for, but perhaps, that was never it's true purpose to begin with. Maybe why I thought I made it wasn't why it needed to be made. It was needed to bring comfort now, when life hasn't worked out as expected. 

I guess it's just really hit me that my quilts are being used from cradle to grave. Would a blanket or $20 throw serve the same purpose, maybe, but I'm thinking not. I think a lot of people do appreciate the thought and work that goes into a quilt, the love that makes people spend so much time creating something just for them. 

1 comment:

Katie Z. said...

I know most of my family, since they are all “makers” of some sort or another, appreciate the time, thought, and love that go into my quilts, so it is always a joy to give them. There are others I know definitely don’t appreciate them, and I just give them other gifts. I also make quilts for my kids’ teachers, and after many years of worrying that they weren’t appreciated, I’ve discovered it’s quite a “thing” to teach my kids since there’s a quilt to anticipate for Christmas. It’s so nice when I know they are loved. Others get sent to the four winds, and I just pray they do what is intended for them.