Sunday, April 14, 2019

Worth It

Do you have stages of quilting that you don't really enjoy doing, but you think they are worth it, so you don't avoid it? I have a couple things I avoid doing (yes, I'm talking about you, applique), and other things I've changed the way I do it to like it better (machine sewn binding, anyone?) One thing I don't avoid, because it's worth it, is on point quilt settings.


I've started assembling the Asian-Inspired quilt I was working on. I do not enjoy assembling on point settings, and the fact this one has sashing doesn't make it any easier. Is it worth it? Absolutely! It's coming out just how I imagined, and although it took me using three rulers to cut setting triangles large enough for these huge blocks, it is totally worth it!

I know that assembling on point quilts is not my favorite, and I know when I get the center assembled I'm not going to want to mess with the top anymore until it's time to quilt it. Thankfully, my math skills did not let me down, and I oversized the side triangles and corner triangles enough that the quilt blocks float the amount I was wanting. Now instead of trimming the quilt to add a narrow black border, I can skip that step, and just trim it enough to straighten the edges after it's quilted! Yay for math!

Now that I've confessed I don't like assembling on point settings, is it any wonder that I have several on point quilts that are UFOs? Most of my UFOs are straight set, because I simply make more straight set quilts than on point ones. I've also realized I really don't avoid on point settings, I've finished one on point UFO within the last six months, and assembled another into a quilt top, besides this one! One thing about doing something you don't much like doing, you sure get a sense of satisfaction when that step is done! Now to finish assembling this massive on point quilt :-)

1 comment:

Katie Z. said...

I don’t love on point, but I agree that it’s lovely when it’s done! I think the challenging bit for me is assembling the long middle rows. I don’t have a large design wall, so I’m generally assembling in pieces. Things can get mixed up!