Thursday, October 1, 2020

One Memory Quilt Down


 

I finished the memory quilt for my BIL from my late sister's clothes. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I started on the rag memory quilts for my niece and nephew, but the way things are working around here, I only really have time to work on them on the weekends. I need extra cabinet space to realign the rag blocks, so the best machine to sew those on is my Bernina, which is in a large cabinet in the basement. 

Weekdays I have been supervising a couple of my grandkids doing distance learning, and I'm sure these two aren't the only ones who need gentle reminders throughout the day to stay on task. They are doing school in the living room, so my living room sewing area is currently a school computer station. 

I've tried doing some sewing downstairs during school, but it just wasn't working well. I decided to bring a sewing machine up to my bedroom which is very close to the living room. 


This is my bedroom setup. I brought up the rolling cart that has cut several projects on it, and I've also brought up the strips I needed to piece the four quillows I need to make for this Christmas. This setup is working great for that. It's at a 90 degree angle from my desk with my computer, so I can use the same chair for both areas easily enough. 

Since I can stop whenever necessary to go check on the kids in the next room, this is allowing me to actually get some things sewn during the week, which I desperately needed. 


I got all the blocks done for 2 quillows this week, sewing just during school hours! I'm determined to only use scraps for the quillows, continuing my scrap busting spree that I started last year. One quillow was requested in teal, and honestly, I just don't have a lot of teal in stash. I have NO yardage of teal, and only a few fat quarters. I didn't want to cut into any fat quarters, it all about scrap reduction. I expanded on that idea and included aquas, and any fabric I had that had blue and green or any bluish green or greenish blue. I couldn't find any teal fleece for the backing either, so I guess green will have to do. The second stack is for a purple quillow, and I sewed up every purple 2.5" strip I had in the scrap user system. Some of the fabrics in that stack are white backgrounds with a lot of purple on them. I love purple, (wearing purple from head to toe today, in fact)   but I can never keep purple fabric in stash. The only colors I have less of are orange and yellow. I think I must always use purple fabrics as soon as I get them, so my stash of purple never really increases.         

The next two quillows I'll be making blocks for will use 1.5" strips. I started sewing one of those today. Smaller strips means more sewing, so I expect the next two to take longer to get the blocks done. 

I'm still working on reorganizing the house, and the next couple projects will be in my quilting areas. I've designed a new cutting table made out of cube storage units. I'll be using the two units I already have, and adding another couple. Today my casters came, and my last cube unit is due to arrive today. I am super excited about the new cutting island, because along with lots of cubes for storage, I've designed it to be able to store two rolls of batting!!! Rolls of batting are the most cost effective way for me to buy it, but they are always in my way. I'm am anxious for them to have an actual home! With the island on casters, I will be able to move it to the side if we need room for an air mattress for company. I need DH to do most of the cutting island assembly, and he has to get his scooter magazine out within the next two weeks, so I'll have to wait a bit, but I'll be sure to post pics of the process of building it. 

Since the cube units will be leaving the sewing room, and relocating to the fabric room, I'll have enough space in the sewing room for a permanent ironing station. I've got that in the works too, and I should be able to build it myself. 

Once both of those new things are built, I'll be rearranging the closet in my sewing room, taking a lot of what is in there out where it will be easier to access. I plan to re-home  two sets of shelves I'm currently using, since I'll be gaining new storage. My goal is to get my storage down to some very functional key pieces, and ditch the stuff I've been using that really wasn't working well. 

Emptying the coat closet in the living room is on my October list as well. I'll likely do it when the grandkids have fall break from school, so I can work on it on weekdays. Anyone have any great ideas for motorcycle helmet storage??? All of DH's riding gear is in that closet!


1 comment:

Elle said...

Motorcycle helmet storage? Make a nice longboard and put large dowel pegs on it spaced for the helmets. Place this high enough that he can reach them but won't hit folks on the head so near his max reach.

Isn't it awesome to get everything sorted exactly the way you want them?

Happy organizing.