Friday, September 8, 2023

Two Deadlines Met

 I finished two quilts this week, and they were both small. The thing is, they were both deadline quilts so it's two things crossed off my list!


This is a baby quilt I made from the Mod TV pattern. I used video game fabrics for the TV screens, which is appropriate because both parents ae video game designers. The backing is a minky with various game controllers on it. It's now boxed up with the burp rags and will get mailed today. 


This doll quilt will also get mailed today. It's for a friend's granddaughter, and the instructions I was given were cats and pink. There are some fun novelty cat fabrics in this, and the backing is a lovely pink minky. I snowballed all the novelty fabrics in pink as well, but I added more colors in the nine patches to up the fun factor. I strip pieced the nine patches,  so they are all identical, but I turned them in different directions to not make that so obvious. 


I love the way quilting shows up on solid minky. The minky on the baby quilt was printed, so the quilting doesn't show up as much. I actually don't like the look of quilting on the dot minky or other textures. A smooth, solid minky shows off the quilting best in my opinion. I still don't like the drag minky causes when quilting, and I REALLY hate the mess it makes. There is fluff all over my sewing and cutting rooms now. 

The next deadline projects in the queue are ten table runners for the scooter rally, and DD#2's Christmas quilt I promised for her birthday. That one may be a little late, but I'll try. I have started that quilt, and I'm almost finished the blocks for the table runners, so we'll see. 

The quilt due after that just got completely changed, so where I thought I had everything to make it, I ended up having to order a panel and border fabric which are due to arrive any day. I was going to use a pattern to make that quilt, but now I've got to design something around the panel, turning a horizontal panel into a twin sized quilt. I've designed around a panel multiple times, so not a stressful thing for me. The funny thing is, now that I have to design something, and I'll be looking to showcase the fabrics, I'll likely plan something much simpler than the pattern I was going to make, so it make take less time than I was originally thinking! 

I've only got two months to get those two quilts and all the table runners done. Given that two weeks of that time I'll have grandkids here and won't be sewing, the window shortens to six weeks. Can I get it done? Time will tell. At least this week crossed two off my list! 


No comments: