Thursday, June 9, 2016

I Spy Completion

It's been a crazy busy week, but I did get that I Spy quilt finished and mailed off!


It should be a fun quilt for blanket forts, I Spy games, and even a bed cover ;-)

My sore throat is lingering, but the rest of my summer cold is over. I'm happy it wasn't a three week deal.

I haven't had any time to sew since I finished the I Spy quilt, and I'm not sure when I will have time to sew. I've been stripping wallpaper from one of the rooms we are re-purposing. Next week it will get a fresh paint job, then some of the house rearranging can begin. Realistically, I think the house rearrange will take a month, but it could be more or less than that. Only two rooms will be repainted right now, the first room to change and the last.

A few more wrenches have been thrown into our plans, so my sewing area may be down to one sewing cabinet, and fabric storage. If I lose space for my other sewing cabinets, cutting table, and ironing station, that will be a temporary situation, so it would just go into storage for a while. Right now, I'm going with our original plan, and if we need the temporary storage solution, we'll change things again. Sometimes life goes a bit haywire, and you just need to be flexible, and make the best of it.

I am really glad I am a planner by nature, it would be overwhelming otherwise. I've already decided which sewing cabinet I will make room for, and which sewing machine goes in it. If I have to put my other machines and cabinets in storage to help out family, it's totally worth it. I am still working out which other things could go into storage for a while, and which things I'd need out. I think I could pare down a lot if I thought it was just a temporary thing. At this point, I could willingly get rid of all kinds of household things and not miss them at all. My quilting stuff is harder, because it's what I love to do. Still, for a year or so, I could go down to one machine without a problem.

Have any of you had to temporarily quilt in a corner after having a sewing room? Which things were hardest to adjust to? I sewed on the kitchen table for years, but I have had a sewing room for the last 8 years or so. That is definitely long enough to have completely changed my sewing habits.

I'm feeling pretty good about the changes, I think the benefits overall, definitely outweigh the challenges I'll have in quilting. I love quilting, and I need to be able to quilt for my peace of mind, but people trump sewing needs every time. As long as I have a corner to sew in, life will stay good.

1 comment:

Katie M. said...

I have had to condense 2 rooms into one before. Fortunately, it was only for a few months. My sewing space was crowded but it still enabled me to do what I wanted. Now would be a different story as I have the quilter that takes up half of one room, then in the other is my 'office' area as well as my sewing area... Think if I had to give up space now, I would have to go buy one of those 'sheds' and set up a sewing studio out of the house.... Yes, I agree, though, family first....