Thursday, November 7, 2019

A New Village and Sneaking in Sewing

My oldest sister is so talented at crafting, and she is at her best when making things from what others call trash. She loves multimedia, creating different textures and depth by using a variety of materials. My family tries to help her out from time to time, and when she wants to focus on a specific material, I get everyone saving whatever she's looking for. For a while it was soda cans, right now it's cereal boxes. The latest thing she gifted me used both of those.


She made me a Christmas village made from cans. Cereal boxes give them structure. She put hangers on them so they can hang on the tree or go on a shelf. The schoolhouse has a bell. 


The church has "stained glass" windows. With my love of reading, she gave me my own library. 


DH and I have our hobbies represented. I get a quilt shop with a quilt hanging in the window, and DH gets a scooter shop made from a root beer can which is his favorite. DH not only runs a scooter club, but also publishes a scooter magazine. 


The flower shop has two of my favorite colors, and the coffee shop (DH and I are both big coffee drinkers) is made from an iced coffee can.


The clock shop reminds me of DD#1's FIL. He repaired clocks all over South Africa. 


The candy shop adds more whimsy to the village. 


She even made me little people for the village. More boys than girls because I've got more grandsons than granddaughters. 

Having such a talented sister is a blessing in my life. 

I wasn't sure I'd have any chance to sew this week because I've got company, but I did get 30 quilt blocks done in between guests. Here is a sampling of those.


These were made from the extra Flying Geese units I had from misfiguring how many units I needed for my main project. I'd like to use the same purple sashing I am using for my main project, but I don't think I have enough, so I'll need to buy more. I'll look at my stash first though, and see if something else will make do. A dark green would be a good option too. 

I've also been assembling a large 99x108" quilt top. I still need to sew two more seams before it's done, but I hope to do that sometime today. I want to keep getting UFO's to quilt top stage, if I need them finished quickly, its a lot easier to quilt a completed top than have to finish making units or blocks then assemble before quilting. 

No comments: