Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Taking Advantage of a Lull

Starting tomorrow life is up and running again, but I had a few days with surprisingly little going on. I took advantage of that as much as I could, and here's what I've accomplished.


I've quilted five quillows, plus one UFO. I'm halfway done quilting another quillow, and hope to finish quilting it today. I am completely ignoring my hour a day quilting rule to get this much done, but if I have any chance to get the quillows done for Christmas I can't stick to that. I am taking breaks, and icing my arm when it needs it. It is so frustrating to really come to grips with the fact my arm injury is going to be an issue for the rest of my life. 

None of those quilts are finished, they are just quilted. I decided I wanted to concentrate on quilting in November, then in December I'll alternate quilting with making the quillow pockets and binding everything. I had planned walking foot quilting on the quillows, but in the end I decided to meander. It wasn't as much a time factor as the fact that with all the pulling and stuffing you do with quillows, I thought meandering would hold up better than all the stress being on long straight quilting lines. 

I quilted that UFO because I'm back on the queen's list in the UFO challenge. Last I looked I was #37, but I'm probably higher than that now. I'll try to get that binding sewn on the first of December, so I can likely stay off the list the rest of 2019.  I've decided to not do the UFO challenge in 2020, because I have so many new starts planned. I still plan to work on UFOs as well, I just don't want the pressure of the challenge. 

Now that I've reclaimed the basting pins from that UFO, I have just enough pins available to baste 4 quillows at once. I have three basted now, and if I finish the quillow I'm quilting today, I'll baste a fourth tonight. 

I still have five quillow tops hanging in the closet untouched, but if I can manage to finish what I've got going today, I'll have six quilted and four basted before DH gets home from work tonight! That would be a win! 

The rest of November only has maybe four sewing days in it, and that's pretty optimistic. I've got more company coming, I'm hosting 17 for Thanksgiving, plus there's a few other things going on. I've been trying to quilt one quillow every day I have with a chunk of sewing time. I've been quilting half of one, taking a break, then quilting the other half. Of course, my breaks, like most women I know, consist of laundry, dishes, cleaning, etc...BUT, I have been binge watching DC superhero shows on Netflix too. I'm usually doing something else as well whenever I watch TV (lately that's wrapping Christmas presents), but TV shows tend be my timer for breaks. If my arm feels pretty good, one episode of Supergirl is long enough for a break, if my arm hurts, I need at least two episodes. In the sewing room I normally just use the timer on my phone, but with Christmas fast approaching, I've ditched the timer and I'm just setting goals before I take a break. It takes me under 1.5 hours to quilt half of a quillow, so that's pushing it, but not by a bunch compared to my normal quilting habits. It's the second session per day that's really pushing it. 

I am starting to have hope I'll have at least most of the quillows done for Christmas. I started this project in July, I really didn't think it would go down to the wire, but life has been busier than I expected. I can only do what I can do, and although I hope to finish on time, the world won't end if I don't. 

No comments: