Friday, November 1, 2019

Tops Are Done, Now What???


I've got all 15 quillow tops finished, pressed and hanging in the closet! Yeah, there's a few UFO's beyond that too, along with some other quilt tops from this scrapbusting spree. I have extra people around for the next nine days, so no sewing will be happening, but after that, I guess I'm going to have to work on how to actually make a quillow. 

Have you ever gotten yourself into a situation like this? You've never actually made something, but you are sure you can figure it out so you just jump in feet first. I've never made a quillow, but I've made a lot of quilts, and I've made plenty of pockets, so how hard can it actually be? I guess I'll find out, but I figure by the time I finish the 15th one I'll be pretty good at it. 

I finished sewing those Flying Geese units into sets of five as leaders/enders while assembling the quillow tops. I needed another thing to use as leaders/enders, since I haven't cut any of the other pieces for the Flying Geese quilt yet. I grabbed the leftover HST pieces I had from a Postcards from Sweden quilt I made for my youngest granddaughter. I had my oldest granddaughter help me pin the HST pieces into pairs.


Miss S, who is 8, is an accomplished pinner, and had a great time choosing color combinations, since I just wanted a pretty random look. I just finished sewing the last of these tonight, and I've actually pressed all the seams open, which is really odd for me when quilting. Tomorrow I'll work on snipping all the dog ears, and I'll figure out how many HST's I actually have. Once I figure out how many I have, I can decide on a setting as in number of rows and how many per row. I already told DH I plan to have him lay this one out for me. I pressed the seams open so that he could move the HST's in any orientation he likes, and I can still sew them together without major issues with bulk. I don't ask DH to lay quilts out for me very often, but I though he might have fun with this one. There are 36 shades of solids total in this bin. I've never heard of a quilt kit having this much extra fabric, but I will admit I did not follow the cutting directions, and the way I cut the pieces used less fabric, even though the pieces were the same size as the pattern called for. Sometimes specialty rulers are well worth the money, and if they save a bunch of fabric, that's one of those times. 

I"ve been sewing such long days trying to get these quillow tops done, that I've really pushed by arm. The repetitive stress injury is rearing its ugly head, so nine day of company is likely a blessing in more ways than one. I hope to get a little sub-cutting done with the company, or maybe just finish a couple hand projects, but we'll see. I hope you'll sew a few extra stitches for me, while I'm busy doing other things. 



1 comment:

Katie Z. said...

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do. They look like a bit of a puzzle, but should be great when finished!