Friday, November 29, 2019

According to Plan? I Think Not

I am a planner by nature. I like making plans, I like seeing plans through. Lately, not much is going according to plan. I had planned to have 17 for Thanksgiving dinner, I had 7. Thankfully, I found out about the cancellations before I had made very much of the food. I did, however, find out that I use the same number of pans, bowls, cutting boards and such to make Thanksgiving dinner for 7 as I would have for 17. Tomorrow I'll cut up the leftover turkey and ham and get it in the freezer. I had only made a turkey breast, and I already made turkey salad with some of the leftovers, so not a whole lot of that will end up in the freezer. I have a lot of ham left, but that's a great thing to add to lots of meals, so I'm OK with that. 

DH and I took a trip to California last weekend. It was a business trip for him, so I brought fabric to sub-cut in the hotel room. I've never done any English paper piecing, but I'd like to hand piece at least one quilt in my life, so I bought a bundle of reproduction 1800's fat eighths, and I'm going to use those in my EPP attempt. I decided on diamonds instead of hexies, because if I really hate EPP, I can sew diamonds by machine fairly easily, though not in the pattern I wanted to do. At least I've got a backup plan so no fabric will be wasted no matter what. 


I cut the fat eighths into strips before we left home, and when I started at the hotel, both containers looked like the one on the left. I forgot to take a true before photo. 


This is what I've got now. For the pattern I chose, I need six diamonds each of two different colors to make a star hexie. Since I needed the diamonds in sets of six, I cut the rest of each strip into squares, and I will make four patches for a different project with those. The baggie holds the crumbs, but they are pretty small. I'll see if my sister wants them for fabric postcards. I didn't have hardly any waste from those fat eighths. I have no idea how large of a quilt I'll be making, and it won't be made anytime soon. I want this to be my standard travel project, so on most car trips I'll just be bringing a couple sets of diamonds with me. I already have everything I need to paper piece it, and I'm no stranger to hand sewing, so I know I can do it, it's just an unknown on how much I'll enjoy it. I am thinking this will be a several year project and I'm OK with that. Not everything has to be fast. 

BUT, speaking of fast, I've got nine quillows quilted now. 


The ninth one I haven't trimmed yet so it's not in this pile. I hope to quilt the tenth one tomorrow, then I'll try assembling a couple before I finish quilting the other five. I need to get the ones that need to be mailed ready to go. 

I officially have two more quilts on my 2020 list now. The engagement I expected has occurred, so I'll need a wedding quilt, and I found out the gender of the latest grandbaby, so I know which quilt I'll be making now. They wanted a llama quilt for a boy, and a flamingo quilt for a girl. Looks like the baby quilt is for the birds!


No comments: