Friday, March 16, 2012

Look What I Picked up!

I am always on the lookout for the newest copy (at least newest available here, we're way behind) of Australian Patchwork and Quilting. I have a friend who is an awesome quilter, and happens to have regular articles in AP&Q. This Australian magazine can be hard to find in the USA. JoAnn's gets them, but they sell out fast. Barnes and Noble has them sometimes. I picked this copy up at JoAnn's in Phoenix, when DH and I had our day out.

I had already picked up the copy because I didn't have this one, and while I was flipping through it in the checkout line, I came across a familiar quilt.

This is the quilt I made for my grandson in South Africa. I always give permission to use any photos she needs, but I never really know whether they will use the photos or not. It's kind of fun to see which ones get used and which ones don't. I had never thought about how hard it would be would to come up with enough photos for a magazine. It's one thing if they are doing a particular project, or a single technique or tutorial, but as in this article when they needed several different projects using specialty fabrics, it would really be difficult to come up with enough variety.

It's really amazing how much work goes into the magazines we love to read and look at all the eye candy in. I've gotten to work with Quiltmaker magazine twice as a block tester, and I hear about what it is like to work with other magazines. Lots of hard work goes into them, by the editors, writers, and lots of behind the scenes people. Long live quilting magazines!

2 comments:

angelindisguise said...

Oh, wow, you got published :) Well done

Stephanie Newman said...

Oh Wow Melodie, I am glad you got a copy of the magazine eventually! Your quilt has displayed really well!