I was a block tester for Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks, Volumes 3 and 4. After the first couple of blocks, I decided to pick a color scheme, so I could use most of the blocks together in a quilt. I chose blacks and brights, though some blocks didn't lend themselves to that, so I still have some that don't work together. I have been trying to figure out ways to use these blocks and get some finished projects out of them.
The penguin block was one of my test blocks, and I opted to make four of them, and pair them with some stars with penguin fabric centers. The border fabric I picked up at a thrift store. I only have a bit of the border fabric left, so I will piece it into the backing. The penguin fabric was scraps I had leftover from making DH a scrub top.
Here are twelve of my test blocks with the black and brights. I still have a couple more blocks with this color scheme, which I am likely to piece into the back, just to have them all go into the same project. I am not a big fan of sampler quilts, so I opted for a more complex sashing/cornerstone design to add more unity to the quilt. I plan on adding a border, but I am undecided on what to add. I need to audition a few things.
My next piecing project will be working on Double Delight, a mystery quilt from a few years back. That is the project I took to Flagstaff with me and couldn't sew on because I forgot the power cord to my sewing machine. I have finished all the mystery quilts I started after this one, but since this one was meant for my bed, it kept dropping to the back of the line. I am determined to get this quilt finished this year.
Of course, I still have that mountain of quilt tops to get quilted too, But I am making good progress on those, and I am pretty happy with how the sewing is going :-)
January Quilty Box Birthday Gift-Away!
16 hours ago