I did get the quilt for my great-nephew finished today after all, and that is a good thing! I didn't have any thread issues with this quilt, on either the quilting or binding, so it must have been the fleece on the rubber duck quilt causing all of the problems.
I think this quilt is really cute and I'm kind of wishing I had more of the robot and rocket fabric. I have some scraps of the robot fabric since I had fussy cut that, and I have a 1/2 yard of it with a white background instead of the yellow. I don't have any more rocket fabric, this quilt took all I had. Suffice it to say, this quilt will stay a one-of-a-kind because I can't make another exactly like it.
I still have a few baby quilts pin-basted, and I will start on quilting those next week. I think I'm taking tomorrow off!