Monday, September 7, 2009

Sewing Room Improvements

My sewing room, or sewing command center as I jokingly call it, went through a bit of a makeover this weekend.


Here is my new sewing table. I had my choice between green and white, and since the walls in this room are already white, I chose green. The top of the cabinet is still a bit of a mess, as I haven't figured out where I want everything yet. The new-to-me Bernina is in place, all ready to go. So far I've been making four patches with it, just trying to get a feel for the machine.


With some rearranging and a $20 adjustable height table from Big Lots, I am keeping my old sewing machine set up in the corner. I have really been wanting to have two machines up all the time, and now I do! It looks a little cramped, but I finished two scrub tops on this machine in the corner, and it is not bad. My chair has wheels, so I'm just rolling it from one sewing spot to the other as needed.

The down side to this arrangement? I had to break my own rule about storing fabric. I do not want to be a person with fabric in every room of my house, but to fit the second machine in the room, I had to move two tubs of garment fabric out of this room, and into another. Looks like 2010 needs to a a low-buy, high production year, to be able to fit my fabric back into this one room. It's a good reality check for me. I don't feel overwhelmed by the amount of fabric I have, but if my fabric starts to take over the house, I will be. For my fabric to continue to be a joy, it needs to be organized enough to be able to find what I need, and if I am hunting through multiple rooms, it just can't be. Moving the fabric was worth having a second sewing area, and it's a good reminder that I have plenty of fabric.

No comments: