Thursday, May 5, 2011

What I'm Working On


Remember that quilt assembly marathon I was getting ready for? Well, I have all the horizontal rows for all three quilts together, and each row is sewn to another in twos. I'm hoping tomorrow I'll have each of the quilt centers done. Two of the quilts are made from Indian Hatchet blocks and four patches, and one is made of just Indian Hatchet blocks. None have the same layout. I really like playing with these blocks, as so many designs can be made with them. They are simple blocks, but very versatile.

I'm also working on a log cabin quilt, so far I've got the first round on. I don't know how well you can see my graph paper diagram, but the third round is more complicated, and will take me quite a bit longer to do. I planned out the quilt in EQ7 and I'm glad I did, I changed the design more than once. I drew one block on graph paper just to keep at my sewing table to keep me straight on which piece goes where, especially for that last round.


Here are a few of my blocks to show you some variety. There will be well over 100 different fabrics in this quilt, probably closer to 150. The log cabin quilt is actually my primary project right now. I am assembly line sewing a log on each square, then I sew a few quilt rows from the other quilts together, before I get up and press it all. My main goal for tomorrow is to get the second round on the log cabin blocks, if I can't get the other quilts assembled that's ok. I know it will take more than one day to get the third round put on the log cabin blocks, even if I'm not working on the other quilts at all. I'm guessing it will take three days to do the third round, but we'll see. I still have to finish drawing sewing lines on my squares so I can sew the star points onto the logs of round 3. I will be starting a movie in just a bit, and hopefully finish that tonight before DH gets home from work.

No comments: